White Buffalo - White Cloud

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited March 3, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Yesterday I took a trip out to see the white Buffalo's in Jamestown, ND. Here is the history of White Cloud. It was a beautiful foggy morning with hore frost. The first photo was taken when I went returned in the afternoon while the last 3 were taken in the morning fog.

1 --

800450647_zXQUy-L.jpg

2 --

800450492_MZUbi-M.jpg

3 --

800450568_YrkL4-L.jpg

4 --

800450612_m3adu-M.jpg

Comments

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Howdy Mary,

Those are really neat, I've never seen White Buffaloes before,

they are really stunning, I'd imagine they would hold High Significance to

the Native Americans.

That second image is my favorite of the series.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Mary,

the Native Americans.

Hi Craig --

I like the 2nd one the best too, but I like the last one too because of the frost on the hair of the buffalo. I edited out piles and piles of poo in that photo rolleyes1.gif

The one drinking was a hoot. He just stolled on up and started drinking..watching John, Ty and I. The tub holding the water is a neat thing. I'd sure like to know how it works. It has to be heated for the water not to freeze.

The Native Americans really do hold the white buffalo in high significance. She was a beauty laying out there all by herself.

Thanks for looking and commenting Craig :D
  • KerrBearKerrBear Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    I've been through Jamestown many times on the way to my mom's old house in Maddock, ND. There are some crazy awesome abandons on your way to Maddock. There is a small town called Hamburg, I think? It's just south of Maddock. It's almost a ghost town. There is an old school house that's been abandoned since the 60's. If you are still in the area, definitely shoot up that way and take a look. Unfortunately, my mom doesn't live in ND anymore so I don't ever go up that far north anymore (I live about 7 hours away). But I think it would be a grand opportunity for someone who lives in this area.

My favorite photo is the first one. I love how bright White Cloud looks in that photo. :)
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Nice Work Mary Kim. These are lovely images. thumb.gif

That one big fellow may have a cold of sorts... Just wondering. :D
    I haven't ever seen a white buffalo that I can recall. But that
    kind of cold I have seen before. Well represented in your images.
    Michael
    edited March 2, 2010
    KerrBear wrote:
    I've been through Jamestown many times on the way to my mom's old house in Maddock, ND. There are some crazy awesome abandons on your way to Maddock. There is a small town called Hamburg, I think? It's just south of Maddock. It's almost a ghost town. There is an old school house that's been abandoned since the 60's. If you are still in the area, definitely shoot up that way and take a look. Unfortunately, my mom doesn't live in ND anymore so I don't ever go up that far north anymore (I live about 7 hours away). But I think it would be a grand opportunity for someone who lives in this area.

My favorite photo is the first one. I love how bright White Cloud looks in that photo. :)

Hi KerrBear -

My Dad use to hunt near Maddock. And we weren't far from Hamburg on Sunday -- maybe 20 miles :cry We went onto the Reservation instead of heading that way. Ever hear of Edmonds? Neat place...not much, but met a guy that lives there now. Thanks for the info :D I'm always looking for information on old towns, ghosttowns and empty places. I'll head up there soon.

White Cloud did look bright with all that snow around her. Poor thing...she does have a hard time in the sunshine.

Thanks for looking and again for the info thumb.gif
    edited March 2, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    Nice Work Mary Kim. These are lovely images. thumb.gif

That one big fellow may have a cold of sorts... Just wondering. :D
    I haven't ever seen a white buffalo that I can recall. But that
    kind of cold I have seen before. Well represented in your images.

Hi DaddyO -

Glad you liked the photos. There aren't many true albino buffalo's around. Kinda neat to see one.

That big fellow looks like he had some major sinus issue's rolleyes1.gif Just a real sloppy drinker and looks like a messy eater too. They use their head to headbutt and lift the haybales to break them up. It was a sight to watch. I'd say they lift those big bales a good foot or two above them to get the hay underneath. Not a clue why they do that tho headscratch.gif

Wish I could of gotten a better shot at the buffalo's, but the fence really limits the set-up.

Thanks for looking and commenting DaddyO :D
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Mary,

the Native Americans.

I'll agree with Craig. I've never seen a White Buffalo in person either. I'm not even sure I've seen a picture of one before now. I have to think the second scene would be something very special to a Native American if they came upon it in the wild.

Thanks for sharing!
    Randy
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Really cool, and I too like #2 the best. Very neat to see a white buffalo. I've always been fascinated with native american culture and a little quick google search resulted in...

"White buffalo are American bison (American buffalo) that are considered to be sacred signs in several Native American religions, and thus have great spiritual importance in those cultures and are visited for prayer and other religious ceremonies."

Some nice photos you got there or a very interesting subject!
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    These are all interesting shots Mary Kim. The buffalo in #3 looks like I have felt after a long night out, stuff all over my face and my fur:D. The last one is neat with the boats frozen in the pond I guess it is. #2 is nice,, I would like to see it cropped for a closer look. Great job with all of these.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    I like the composition. The buffalo balanced by the gray snow shadow.

Nice work
    Rags
    edited March 2, 2010
    rwells wrote:
    I'll agree with Craig. I've never seen a White Buffalo in person either. I'm not even sure I've seen a picture of one before now. I have to think the second scene would be something very special to a Native American if they came upon it in the wild.

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Randy --

Come on up to the cold tundra and see a White Buffalo in person :D

She does have a strong presence out there among the other buffalo.

Thanks for taking a look Randy and commenting.
    edited March 2, 2010
    DRabbit wrote:
    Really cool, and I too like #2 the best. Very neat to see a white buffalo. I've always been fascinated with native american culture and a little quick google search resulted in...

"White buffalo are American bison (American buffalo) that are considered to be sacred signs in several Native American religions, and thus have great spiritual importance in those cultures and are visited for prayer and other religious ceremonies."

Some nice photos you got there or a very interesting subject!

Hi --

Native Americans do hold religious ceremonies out where the buffalo is. I've just never been out there when they do.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Thanks for taking a look and the information you provided :D
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Hi MARY K. ....... Nice series......#3 is my favorite.... thumb.gif azzaro:D
    edited March 2, 2010
    wendell wrote:
    These are all interesting shots Mary Kim. The buffalo in #3 looks like I have felt after a long night out, stuff all over my face and my fur:D. The last one is neat with the boats frozen in the pond I guess it is. #2 is nice,, I would like to see it cropped for a closer look. Great job with all of these.

Hi --

Isn't that buffalo in #3 a hoot. He certainly needed a brushing, de-grassing and a very big kleenix :D

I don't know why those boats were out there. Probably for feed. I doubt there's a pond there as it's on the top of a hill, but I could be wrong. Just couldn't tell with all the snow.

As for #2 -- I cropped in on that one already. I could crop in some more tho. I'll give it a try and post it in this thread.

I'm glad you enjoyed these photos. Thanks for taking a look and commenting :D
    edited March 2, 2010
    torags wrote:
    I like the composition. The buffalo balanced by the gray snow shadow.

Nice work

Hi,

I was concered about taking a photo of a white buffalo with white snow...a challenge for me that's for sure :D I'm glad it worked out ok.

Thanks for taking a look and commenting :D
    edited March 2, 2010
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi MARY K. ....... Nice series......#3 is my favorite.... thumb.gif azzaro:D

Hi Azzaro --

Isn't he a funny one rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking and commenting Azzaro :D
    edited March 2, 2010
    #2 cropped in closer

801332355_cXg4S-L.jpg
    edited March 3, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hi DaddyO -

Glad you liked the photos. There aren't many true albino buffalo's around. Kinda neat to see one.

That big fellow looks like he had some major sinus issue's rolleyes1.gif Just a real sloppy drinker and looks like a messy eater too. They use their head to headbutt and lift the haybales to break them up. It was a sight to watch. I'd say they lift those big bales a good foot or two above them to get the hay underneath. Not a clue why they do that tho headscratch.gif

Wish I could of gotten a better shot at the buffalo's, but the fence really limits the set-up.

Thanks for looking and commenting DaddyO :D

You did well for any limitations you may have had. Just be glad that fence
    was there. thumb.gif Maybe the hay underneath is warm and goes down
    a treat. Well... could be. ne_nau.gifrofl
    Michael
    edited March 3, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    You did well for any limitations you may have had. Just be glad that fence
    was there. thumb.gif Maybe the hay underneath is warm and goes down
    a treat. Well... could be. ne_nau.gifrofl

Never thought that the hay underneath would be warmer, but that makes sense. It was +1 out at the time I shot in the morning so the hay might not be frozen underneath and inside the bale.

Thank you for the nice comment on my shooting ability with the conditions I had. One thing I know....I need to learn more before I do it again. It will help my "frustration" level :D
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Love the cropped version--what a beautiful animal.

Glad you cropped it before I encouraged you to get closer on the next round :D --probably not the smartest advise.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 3, 2010
    Love the cropped version--what a beautiful animal.

Glad you cropped it before I encouraged you to get closer on the next round :D --probably not the smartest advise.

Hi Liz...

Cropped in is much better to see the buffalo's features, but it loses the vastness and lonliness of the winter plains. Don't know which I like better headscratch.gif Guess I'll keep both :D

Thanks for taking a look and commenting Liz :D
    edited March 3, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    Never thought that the hay underneath would be warmer, but that makes sense. It was +1 out at the time I shot in the morning so the hay might not be frozen underneath and inside the bale.

Thank you for the nice comment on my shooting ability with the conditions I had. One thing I know....I need to learn more before I do it again. It will help my "frustration" level :D

I'm just curious Mary Kim, what it is that you need to know that will cancel
    out this frustration you speak to. headscratch.gif:D
    Michael
    edited March 3, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    I'm just curious Mary Kim, what it is that you need to know that will cancel
    out this frustration you speak to. headscratch.gif:D

Ha...how to shoot looking into the sun on a foggy day with frost particles in the air. There was a fine line between to dark of a photo and to light of a photo. I just didn't know how to find the medium point for a photo that was "dead on".
    edited March 3, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    Ha...how to shoot looking into the sun on a foggy day with frost particles in the air. There was a fine line between to dark of a photo and to light of a photo. I just didn't know how to find the medium point for a photo that was "dead on".

Yup. Thats a good one alright. lol3.gif

One of my favorite quotes is from ashleigh brilliant ...

Something like, " I don't have a solution but I admire the problem." :D

When you say "dead on" do you mean your subject is backlit and you'd
    rather it not be... cause the bus is leaving shortly? That it? headscratch.gif:D

If you need some suggestions, I'm sure some folks would be glad to
    lend some thoughts on this frustration point with exposure methods
    in harsh difficult outdoor / indoor lighting. The stuff I do you probably
    already know so I'm not sure what to tell ya, but would like to help.
    Michael
    edited March 3, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    Yup. Thats a good one alright. lol3.gif

One of my favorite quotes is from ashleigh brilliant ...

Something like, " I don't have a solution but I admire the problem." :D

When you say "dead on" do you mean your subject is backlit and you'd
    rather it not be... cause the bus is leaving shortly? That it? headscratch.gif:D

If you need some suggestions, I'm sure some folks would be glad to
    lend some thoughts on this frustration point with exposure methods
    in harsh difficult outdoor / indoor lighting. The stuff I do you probably
    already know so I'm not sure what to tell ya, but would like to help.

Admire the problem -- that's a good one rolleyes1.gif

I'll ask for help in the Technique thread :D