Need a book on PS CS2

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited August 7, 2005 in Finishing School
I wish to buy online (why online...cause i have very limited books avail here) a book that will show me how to use P/Shop CS2. I can do basic stuff but am needing to lean more to get the max from my shots.

Just a name will do if you know it to be a good book for neanderthols...i will do the searching for it.

Ta Gus

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I wish to buy online (why online...cause i have very limited books avail here) a book that will show me how to use P/Shop CS2. I can do basic stuff but am needing to lean more to get the max from my shots.

Just a name will do if you know it to be a good book for neanderthols...i will do the searching for it.

Ta Gus

I have the older version of this book and highly recommend it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Ta Gus
    Same name as always: Scott Kelby.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    That looks on the money david...ta.

Im all over it.

Gus
    edited August 5, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Same name as always: Scott Kelby.
    Thanks waxy.
    edited August 5, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I have the older version of this book and highly recommend it.
    Whaddya know, same name. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited August 5, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks waxy.
    I'm a dolt and I can follow his stuff.
    Sid.
    edited August 5, 2005
    Ok...cant find it 4 sale in 0z (bunch a tree dwelling banjo players i tells ya !!)

...who do you blokes recommend as an on-line bookseller in the US ?
    edited August 5, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ok...cant find it 4 sale in 0z (bunch a tree dwelling banjo players i tells ya !!)

I use Amazon, or Barnes & Noble. You can get some books used, for less money. I've done it and it works.

BTW, in our own Hall of Wisdom, Cletus put together a bunch of links for photoshop.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2067
    Sid.
    edited August 5, 2005
    If it gets to be a pain, Gus, I can easily buy and ship to you. Not a problem.
    Sid.
    edited August 5, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Ta mate...i'll see how i go with your recommendations.
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    I have a small library of Photoshop books. FWIW I'll give you my recommendations, but I think that different books appeal to different folks.

Kelby's book is good for a quick overview and referance. He gives a lot of tips and is a good quick reference but is not very good at explaining why things work. (This was not his intention though, mentioned in the forward). His "humurous" writing style can be annoying at times.

Fraser's Real World Camera Raw is excellent. His book Real World Photoshop is also very good, but this could be a tedious read for many.

Adobes Photoshop Classroom in a book is a good reference for basic skills.

Eismann's Photoshop Restoration and Retouching is excellent (and not just for retouching old photos), although not up to date with CS2.

Some other titles can also be found here http://www.adobepress.com/index.asp?rl=1

Good luck on your search,
    edited August 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

You can buy it right from the link I gave you. Amazon.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited August 6, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can buy it right from the link I gave you. Amazon.
    Tks david...i was just wondering if you or anyone bought from them or someplace else for books.

I ...er (cough) ..dont tend to read a lot other than National Geographic.

It has all i need.

Gus
    edited August 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Tks david...i was just wondering if you or anyone bought from them or someplace else for books.

It has all i need.

Gus

I'm an Amazon man, myself.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

It has all i need.

Gus

Gus - I've spent a bloody fortune at Amazon, and never regretted it. They are easy to do business with, accept exchanges without whining, and ship promptly. They are not always the very cheapest, but they are in the hunt.

I listened to a speech here 2 years ago by Robert Ballard, the discover of the Titanic, and he mentioned briefly in passing two out of print books that he read as a child that led him into studying undersea exploration. I found them both as used books on Amazon!! How cool is that!? One was Noah's Flood by Ryan and Pitman. The other was Deep Water, Ancient Ships by Bascom which had been a book in the Bartlett Illinois Public Library - It still had the library card in it! Amazon sells camera goodies too.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 6, 2005
    Thanks PF...i will order tonight.
    edited August 6, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    For some reason (possibly to do with strategic arms limitations) i cant buy the book.

OI VAY !!!

Waxy have you got pay pal ?

And will the 2nd seller here (fantastic shopping) ship to you ?

Ta
    Gus
    edited August 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    For some reason (possibly to do with strategic arms limitations) i cant buy the book.

OI VAY !!!

Ta
    Gus

Why would you buy from the second seller when his price is the same as Amazons?

Gus, PM me your addy, and I'll buy and ship it to you in exchange for something of equal value from OZ. How's that? Something the kids might like.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited August 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

OI VAY !!!

Ta
    Gus

Yup. I'll PM you. Unless you want to work out David's deal, which sounds like fun.
    Sid.
    edited August 6, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Why would you buy from the second seller when his price is the same as Amazons?

Gus, PM me your addy, and I'll buy and ship it to you in exchange for something of equal value from OZ. How's that? Something the kids might like.
    Because i have no idea what im doing & i thought amazons was a group of retailers that sold 2nd hand stuff....come on mate...im in a back water here.

Ok...that sounds like a good deal. I just went out the back to check stocks, i have left an echidna (not for the littlies) ..a wombat (smelly & bites but friendly)...and a tree kangaroo (very delusional & does get paranoid)

Seriously mate thats a great idea...will PM you my addy shortly.

Gus
    edited August 7, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Because i have no idea what im doing & i thought amazons was a group of retailers that sold 2nd hand stuff....come on mate...im in a back water here.

Ok...that sounds like a good deal. I just went out the back to check stocks, i have left an echidna (not for the littlies) ..a wombat (smelly & bites but friendly)...and a tree kangaroo (very delusional & does get paranoid)

Seriously mate thats a great idea...will PM you my addy shortly.

Gus

I don't quite know what I'd do without Amazon. There's one in Germany, UK, why not down under?
    Moderator Emeritus