Fresh hot peanuts

ChiShutterChiShutter Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited March 2, 2010 in Street and Documentary
This streetside peanut vendor in Bombay wasn't too thrilled with me snapping away, but I got this shot in before he noticed and objected.

One from my very first trip toting a DSLR, so I somehow managed to strip out the EXIF data. Shot with the nifty fifty at f/1.8, 1/80s, ISO 800.

788410189_XU2gF-L.jpg

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    ChiShutter wrote:
    This streetside peanut vendor in Bombay wasn't too thrilled with me snapping away, but I got this shot in before he noticed and objected.

One from my very first trip toting a DSLR, so I somehow managed to strip out the EXIF data. Shot with the nifty fifty at f/1.8, 1/80s, ISO 800.

I understand the difficulties associated with a difficult subject - and sympathize and emphathize - but I really wish I could see his face. And I can't tell from the photo that he's seeing peanuts - so if that was your goal...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • ChiShutterChiShutter Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    I understand the difficulties associated with a difficult subject - and sympathize and emphathize - but I really wish I could see his face. And I can't tell from the photo that he's seeing peanuts - so if that was your goal...
    Thanks for the feedback. I admit, I just liked what I was seeing so I lifted my camera and depressed the shutter without taking any time to think about how I was going to frame the image. It may also have to do with the fact that his cart and his wares are as recognizable to me as a hot dog stand would be to a new yorker, so I didn't take care to make sure it would be apparent to someone who doesn't know what they're seeing.

I posted the image here because I like the way the fire illuminates his face, and because the peanuts were delicious. mwink.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    ChiShutter wrote:

I posted the image here because I like the way the fire illuminates his face, and because the peanuts were delicious. mwink.gif

Well that makes sense!:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • ChiShutterChiShutter Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Well that makes sense!:D
    On a more serious note: I really do appreciate the feedback; my wife bought the camera in December intending to pursue photography as a hobby, and as it turns out I'm the one shooting daily.

I definitely have to make it more of a habit to take time each time I shoot to consider A) my point of view as a storyteller; B) how I will express that point of view in terms of composition; and C) my planned approach to getting the exposure correct.

When the above image was shot, I was doing none of those things. Just a tourist with a fun gadget.