Old Lady

PMCPMC Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited March 5, 2010 in Street and Documentary
C&C is welcome. Thanks for looking.
800601917_ygEdr-M.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 2, 2010
    Wow, that's an intriguing image. Can you post a larger version?
  • PMCPMC Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Wow, that's an intriguing image. Can you post a larger version?

Of course I can Richard; thanks for stopping by and commenting. What are you looking for in the larger version?

800601917_ygEdr-XL.jpg
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 2, 2010
    PMC wrote:
    Of course I can Richard; thanks for stopping by and commenting. What are you looking for in the larger version?

I was curious about some of the shadow stuff, especially in the lower right corner. There's a hint of a face (or skull) there and I was wondering what it was about. In the smaller version you could almost think that she is holding a camera. It looks less likely in the larger one, though not impossible.
  • SittingElfSittingElf Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    This looks like the stairs down to a Japanese Subway Station??

I was more intrigued by the sign that has lunch for about US$15.00 and then Dinner for more than US$60.00!headscratch.gif Quite a difference from noon to evening in the 20th floor restaurant!:D

Interesting shot though!
    My Equipment:
    Bodies: Canon- 5D Mark II, 7D, 50D, SD780IS, Sony DSC F828, DSC F717,
    Lenses: Canon EF16-35/f2.8L, EF24-105/f4L, EF100-400L, EF 50mm/1.8 II, EF100/2,8L, EF85/1.8 USM, MP-E65/2.8 1-5X, 15mm Fisheye, 70-200/f2.8L II
    Lighting: Canon 580EXII, 430EXII, MT-24EX, MR-14EX, Sony Hi Power, YinYan BY-180B Studio Strobes (3), Coco Ring Flash Adapter.
    Stability
    :Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, 322RC2, 498RC2, 454 Macro Slider, 175F-1 Clamps
    Video: Canon XHA1, HV-20 (2), HV-30
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    PMC wrote:
    C&C is welcome. Thanks for looking.
    800601917_ygEdr-M.jpg

Give me an A! Give me an M! Give me a B! Give me an I! Give me a G! Give me a U! Give me another I! Give me a T! Give me a Y!!!! What does it spell?!?!

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY!!!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    There is a sinister quality about this shot that make it stand out for me.

We can't see either of the faces and the old lady looks to be cowering from the other figure.

How, why and what happened next - we can only speculate.

Great shot clap.gif
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    I look at it repeatedly and still cannot fit together what I am seeing.

My question: Is this a street candid or a staged shot and is it a single frame or a composite?
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    My question: Is this a street candid or a staged shot and is it a single frame or a composite?
    headscratch.gif
    Travis
  • PMCPMC Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    Hi guys, thanks for commenting.

The photo wasn't staged and it isn't a composite. I just grabbed it while wondering round town. No subliminal skulls either:D

BD, Syncopation: I thought that it was ambiguous too, but then my girlfriend, who's Japanese, walked past, told me exactly what was happening in the picture, and tootled off on her way.

I think perhaps there is a cultural thing going on where people with different backgrounds would come to different conclusions about what was happening when I took the shot.

Cheers
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    When I looked at this shot I immediately saw the dark figure as the grim reaper beaconing this elderly lady down into darkness. Her time has come. It strikes me as a pictorial metaphor for the end of a long life. Very well done you!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography