A first for me: low-light photography in an abandoned house

invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
edited March 3, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Taking advantage of the full moon, our goal (an ambitious one) was to find an abandoned house and do interior shots at night using moon light only. That didn't work out too well, as the light coming in through the windows was not enough to light anything of interest in the house we found.

But someone had some candles in his backpack and kinda saved the day for the rest of us.

p987295503-4.jpg

p550234465-4.jpg

p651463088-4.jpg

4. Ghostdancing
p1052944089-4.jpg

Thanks for looking...
I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
Website / Flickr

Comments

• DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Pretty cool... the first one especially. Did you get kicked out this time around? ;)

I'll tell ya, I always want to go inside abandoned houses and buildings but never seem to be able to work up the guts. I love shooting abandoned locations, and you took it to a whole new level! Very cool!
    thumb.gif
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Nice that you were able to make things work. Would the candles provide enough light to have them out of the images ... with long exposures?
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    DRabbit wrote:
    Pretty cool... the first one especially. Did you get kicked out this time around? ;)

I'll tell ya, I always want to go inside abandoned houses and buildings but never seem to be able to work up the guts. I love shooting abandoned locations, and you took it to a whole new level! Very cool!
    thumb.gif
    Thanks much, Amy! Yes, these are the photos from that shoot that ended in "eviction" (as one of the guys put it :D).

If you ever plan on doing this abandoned house stuff, I suggest never going alone --ceilings could collapse, floors might cave in, etc. Also, use thick-sole boots, as loose nails are not uncommon. Plus, of course, wear your crappiest clothes :) And finally, familiarize yourself with the applicable trespass laws in your area.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    wendell wrote:
    Nice that you were able to make things work. Would the candles provide enough light to have them out of the images ... with long exposures?
    Thanks, Wendell. The answer to your question is "maybe"... I don't know, I didn't try... but it's a good idea for next time :)

Federico
    Website / Flickr