Options

New Canon DPP 3.8.x available. Rotation tool!

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
edited March 2, 2010 in Finishing School
Ver. 3.8.x now has a rotation tool! And it is well implemented. I couldn't find it at first, but it is part of the trimming/cropping tool. Besides a slider and a dialog box, one can also adjust the rotation with a simple click and drag. Thankfully, they've also added a grid to the tool with a slider for grid size. So you can now rotate and crop without moving the photo over to Photoshop or another program.

Canon download link here for Win XP.
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 2, 2010
    As a slight aside, do any serious photographers actually use DPP as opposed to ACR? Rotation is perfect case in point. ACR has had it for longer than I can remember, and so much more.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
    edited March 2, 2010
    Yes they do. For semi critical work, for fast culling, and for many purposes, it is all that is required. And it does a bang up job too. As powerful as Photoshop? Heck no, but most basic tools are there including histogram and micro-adjustments using curves, sharpening, size readjustments, a more thoughtful cropping tool than PS has (in my opinion), and more.

Case in point - I use it as a front end for Photoshop or PSP. Anything detail oriented I port right over of save a 16-bit TIFF file for reloading into PS later. As I don't have the latest PS and can't take advantage of RAW .CR2's there, but I will always have the latest Canon RAW developer - and its free.

The other forums are abuzz over this new rotation tool and has many people excited. Think of DPP as one of many tools for the photographer.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky