New DP Power Mac G5's liquid cooled too.

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited June 11, 2004 in The Big Picture
Apple released their new G5's today. Speeds up to 2.5 ghz and 8x DVD writer. The 2.5 DP is liquid cooled. Read about it here. I really want a tower with some power, my G4 PB seems really slow these days.

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Apple released their new G5's today. Speeds up to 2.5 ghz and 8x DVD writer. The 2.5 DP is liquid cooled. Read about it here. I really want a tower with some power, my G4 PB seems really slow these days.
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I think you should not be exposed to new product announcements. It's clearly dangerous!

Looks like a 'cool' box. But I'd wait a year because there appear to be a lot of mechanical things that can fail in that box, no? let them shake it down first, maybe?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I think you should not be exposed to new product announcements. It's clearly dangerous!

Looks like a 'cool' box. But I'd wait a year because there appear to be a lot of mechanical things that can fail in that box, no? let them shake it down first, maybe?

Just what I need, something else to buy. rolleyes1.gif

I was thinking the same thing, let someone else try out the liquid cooled feature. I will probably buy the 2.0 without the liquid cooling. It will still be a lot faster than my current laptop.
    edited June 9, 2004
    The G5's come with a super cool new feature to help you move from your old computer to the new one.

Read about it here.
    edited June 9, 2004
    Now that's a great feature. A real headache saver, especially the ability to transfer software to the new machine. Wonder how Photoshop's new security stuff reacts to that?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited June 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Wonder how Photoshop's new security stuff reacts to that?

ne_nau.gif I am sure the first users will be very vocal on how it works.
  • zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    New releases for the Mac platform do not feature activation technology yet, just windoze ones.

Received my copy of Adobe Creative Suite Premium yesterday. New laptop will be here today, according to courier. It's gonna be an exciting week.
    edited June 11, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    New releases for the Mac platform do not feature activation technology yet, just windoze ones.

Received my copy of Adobe Creative Suite Premium yesterday. New laptop will be here today, according to courier. It's gonna be an exciting week.

A few programs I do use do require activation, so I wonder how that will work. I am probably going to opt for a clean install anyway. Who knows what kind of junk and clutter is on my hard drive? I am just waiting to see when they will be shipping. I will probably go for the 2.0 with 3.5gb of ram. I need a new monitor too, the 22 Lacie is very tempting. I may have to go take another look at wxwax's. I could also go for a 23" Cinema Display, but too many rumors on a 30". That might actually be too big, but I would at least want a chance to check it out.
    edited June 11, 2004
    I can drag you to my workplace, you can see the cinema displays in action, if'n you want.
    Sid.
    edited June 11, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I can drag you to my workplace, you can see the cinema displays in action, if'n you want.

I am going wait to see if they come out with replacements at the end of the month. I have seen them several times at the Apple Store and they were all over PMA. I really just need to see how beastly the 22" CRT is. I need to make sure I have room for it on my table. That would be a hard to beat combo 23" LCD and 22" Lacie. Thanks for the offer.