Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Kevin KramerKevin Kramer Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Judge Joe Knows his stuff!!!! That's awesome!

edit: i should also say that if you're getting sued, and Judge Joe is the judge.. you're going to lose! rolleyes1.gif
    Nikon D300s and Nikon D7000
    Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Tokina 11-16 2.8
    2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
    website | blog | facebook
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Holy smokes...

"How fast is your lens."

"I don't know."

Wow.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Ahh this cracked me up. Judge Joe knows some of his stuff!

"Where's the 1D, 5D, 7D, 10D..." 10D? that's olllllld! haha!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    JJB asked exacly the right questions. And this pro didn't know the speed of her 70-300 AND was never able to answer the F-Stop question? A Canon Rebel for sure can take an award winning shot, but a rebel, kit lens, and auto, a pro does not make, IMHO. Good questions, JJB.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    DanspageDanspage Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    Is JJB stating If you don"t have pro lens and pro camera your not a pro.eek7.gifhuh

A 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8 would help you in low light but are not pro glass.eek7.gifhuh

I don't know, I would like to see more work from the photographer and the wedding to make my judgment.

A few years ago I only had a point and shoot Fuji fine pix camera 3.2mp. I took a wonderful photo on mothersday that is on my wall at home at 20x30. It looks great. I did use a tripod for the photo and a flash.

I would not use a point and shoot camera for a wedding but I do think that some photographers could and still get great photos with a point and shoot. After all its not the camera and pro glass that make the photo. It does help image quality.

All photos are bdlsr (before my 1st dslr) fuji 3.2mp point and shoot.
    100534942_DEdck-L.jpg

100536339_vtnvY-L.jpg

755165893_qGa5f-L.jpg

755165967_oLZJm-L.jpg
    Daniel
    http://danspage.smugmug.com/
    Scratch Nikon I switched to
    Canon 5d mark II
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2010
    WOW! That was amazing.

JJB seem like he knows a bit about photography, his biggest downfall was saying that by using the rebel and 18-55 kit lens can't produce "pro" quality photographs. Also he was arguing the fact that the priest said that the photographer couldn't use flash. That is a pretty common practice these days, but...if it was just that he said the guests couldn't use it as to not mess up the pro's photos...that's a different story.

Anyways...pretty hilarious. She obviously didn't know much about photography. Granted some people just don't know the technical side very much, all "pro's" I believe should know how fast their lenses are... That's just basic...
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    "Reality" tv at it's finest. A sad event all around....but damn that so called photographer was evil.
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Unfortunately this case is just about TV entertainment value. It makes no difference what equipment was used or if a tripod was used. There are only two questions that are relevant here. 1. What was in the contract? There were no real refrences as to exactly what was promised for the amount of money charged and 2. What was the quality of the photos as a group. One soft picture does not mean the whole wedding was out of focus. If the photog did not provide professional processing of the images that should have been spelled out in the contract. Any pro knows that there is a huge difference in the quality. The bride should have the right to professional processing and handleing of her wedding photos. The damages paid out in these cases are paid by the producers so reality does'nt count. In a real courtroom you would have to prove that you did not receive what you paid for. And the damages can be much higher than 2500.00. The lesson here seems to be if you can not provide what you promise then don't offer your services as a professional. And on the other side, don't go to court without a legitamate case with adequate evidence.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    That made me feel really smart! I don't even shoot weddings.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    IntellaIntella Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2010
    Glort wrote:
    If she really cared at all about her photos, she would have known after going to any bridal fair where there is always more than one photographer exhibiting, that to get good work you have to pay a lot more than $1300.

The bride actually paid the $2500. She sued for $1300 as she didn't feel like the whole experience was a total waste, and wanted to compensate the photographer for the effort that they did make. JJB ruled that she was being generous, and said she was responsible for the whole cost. Act or not, a lot of people take these shows to heart, the questions he asked were very useless towards the case. Hard evidence, like looking at the quality of work that was in the albums that the bride had on her table would have been more helpful. Of course not judging the artistic value, but the quality.

I think it's a good thing that the bride won the judgement, made up scenario or not. For anyone watching, it might make them think harder about their actual ability, their equipment and their experience. False representation of actual skills and experience is Very common. I know of local photographers who have advertised falsely about the length of time they have been in the business, and the amount of work they have actually done. At the end of the day, I just feel bad for the people who have spent their money.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    I don't understand why the photographer wouldn't allow for a re-shoot or just give the refund. The way I see it, if the client wasn't happy then the photographer did not meet the expectations of his/her client. Give the refund or re-shoot it.

Let's face it, this is going to happen, it all depends on how you handle it, just be professional, sheesh!

Lesson to learn from these episodes, just don't put yourself in that position.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 3, 2010
    BTW, the $2500 didn't come out of defendant's pocket, it came out of the show's production budget.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Rufus T FireflyRufus T Firefly Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2010
    Danspage wrote:
    Is JJB stating If you don"t have pro lens and pro camera your not a pro.eek7.gifhuh

A 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8 would help you in low light but are not pro glass.eek7.gifhuh

I don't know, I would like to see more work from the photographer and the wedding to make my judgment.
    Here are some samples...

http://www.photographypros.com/midland_mi/index.php

http://www.photographypros.com/portrait/midland_mi/index.php

Judge for yourself.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    I love the way Glort broke my reply down piece by piece rolleyes1.gif

But that lady was a 'tard. She should have come to court (or tv-show set) more prepared. I would have brought samples of my previous work (good samples have you) and stated that though I used a Canon XTi, I upsample my images to proper dimensions via programs such as OnOne Genuine Fractals, and basically have good knowledge of what the heck I'm practicing. When JJB said, "Where's the 1-series?"; I would reply in analogy that you don't need to drive a Ferrari to run at a race-track, the experience the driver/photographer who utilizes the tools is much more important than the size of the camera body. Lastly, that lady's attitude needs re-adjusting, don't rush the judge and expect it to go your way. I say, she deserved it, she should have taken care of it off-court and saved some cash. With that $2500 she has to fork up, she could have bought a BIGGER-Canon-body so she can 'look' the part, because let's face it, sometimes (for better or worse), that's all it takes to get a 'thumb.gif'.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    BTW, the $2500 didn't come out of defendant's pocket, it came out of the show's production budget.

I stand corrected. The lady picked a GREAT way to save money. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 4, 2010
    mr peas wrote:
    I stand corrected. The lady picked a GREAT way to save money. rolleyes1.gif
    I don't know if anything was saved. You agree to let this guy hear your case and be (potentially) humiliated on national tv? not to mention the potential lost income? Don't know that she saved anything by going that route.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Hahaha great video thumb.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    dawssvt wrote:
    Hahaha great video thumb.gif

This is OT, sorry... Dawson, I just wanted to say great job on the wedding you shot last weekend! The groom's brother Marc was my college roommate for several years, and I saw some of your pictures on FB. They looked great, and I know the couple was very happy. Nice work!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Final Outcome: Customer gets her money back. Was it deserved? We'll never know.
    Final outcome: If this was a real Professional Studio, they did themselves irrepairable damage to their business. Who would actually hire these people after seeing their lack of knowledge, horrible attitude, lack of professionalism and "crappy equipment" sans JJB. Word travels at lightning speed on the internet.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    I don't know if anything was saved. You agree to let this guy hear your case and be (potentially) humiliated on national tv? not to mention the potential lost income? Don't know that she saved anything by going that route.

Well, aside from not being the brightest bulb, she might have been thinking 'of course I'll win and then I'll get free publicity!'
    eek7.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Final Outcome: Customer gets her money back. Was it deserved? We'll never know.
    Final outcome: If this was a real Professional Studio, they did themselves irrepairable damage to their business. Who would actually hire these people after seeing their lack of knowledge, horrible attitude, lack of professionalism and "crappy equipment" sans JJB. Word travels at lightning speed on the internet.

Seems she really is a photog....a poster on another forum stated that the photog (and I use that term loosely) brought her the files to see if her studio could "fix" them......... and they were all shot in med jpg and at ~1600 iso.......OTHER FOUM POST ....coiuld not find the origianal but a partial quote will do.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Rufus T FireflyRufus T Firefly Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2010
    It looks like they took down her samples. The site was probably getting slammed. Those links were posted all over photo sites and forums. The links just go to a generic page now. I have seen a lot of good work from Rebels and other entry level cameras. None were hers.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    It looks like they took down her samples. The site was probably getting slammed. Those links were posted all over photo sites and forums. The links just go to a generic page now. I have seen a lot of good work from Rebels and other entry level cameras. None were hers.

Alas, too bad. Since I've seen better photos from a G9/10/11 than what she had posted there....
    //Leah
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    I've printed at Walmart and Sams club. They use Fuji Frontier printers and actually produce a great print if you are in a rush.

I avoid the other stores who use crappy printers.

My next project is to choose one of my photos and order the same 8x10 from bay, snap fish, walmart, target, etc. Then perhaps I can actually show my clients a difference.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    sparky675sparky675 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Way to go Judge
    the judge knows a bit about photography, clap.gif
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    My favorite JJB line "A brownie box camera could have done this same job outside with this light" I love my Brownie, and yes, it could have, but that picture would have been WAY better done with a Brownie :)

I wouldn't have dealt with that photographer anyway, one of those Greater Than Thou types who think they know what they're doing when they aren't. The pictures aren't the worst but they aren't the best by a long shot, either.