So how will i know when it is time to put her down

2»

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    No mate...its about looking at expensive toys.

That I understand.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    That I understand.
    Are these laptops upgradable in processor etc ? I know that the new ones have room for up to 2 gig ram.

I just drop a new MB/processor/ram in my desk top every year or so for $300. I assume that with laptops its different ?
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    You're stuck with the processor... Dell has a couple of models that now allow Graphics card updates (designed for gamers, really). Hard disk are fairly easy to replace, too.
    Chris
    edited August 14, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    You're stuck with the processor... Dell has a couple of models that now allow Graphics card updates (designed for gamers, really). Hard disk are fairly easy to replace, too.
    Tks 95Mcaj...i thought as much. Im really making sure i cover all avail options before i work out what im going to do.

Guswife has mentioned a few days ago that if she bought me a wireless laptop..she would get me away from this desk.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Guswife has mentioned a few days ago that if she bought me a wireless laptop..she would get me away from this desk.
    It is really nice... right now I'm sitting out on my back porch. My laptop (IBM T41p) is over a year old, and I still haven't felt the slightest urge for an upgrade. Runs CS2 just fine (though not mind-splittingly fast).
    Chris
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    oh no not gear headedness...
    Humungus wrote:
    oh no gus,you are displaying the early symptoms of gear headedness!

first the lcd monitor now the $5000 laptop-does it make expresso?

don't let it take hold or else there will be no turning back-you will have to take the pledge and thats not nice..

this morning i sketched out a plan for a street photo i hope to take tonight

i then went to the spot I have chosen and took a couple of test shots for framing purposes and will be back there tonight at the magic hour.

hopefully,if it rains, I will have a photo that I can't stop staring at ,which will be a million times better than that laptop ad.

anyone else want some reasons not to become a gear head?
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    So just for my info guys...are these new centrino laptops with 1680 x 1050 adequate for photo editing ?
    Gus, I'd avoid LCD screens for photo editing. The color gamut just isn't good enough, except maybe on some of the hugely expensive top end goodies.

regards
    alan
    edited August 15, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    Gus, I'd avoid LCD screens for photo editing. The color gamut just isn't good enough, except maybe on some of the hugely expensive top end goodies.

regards
    alan
    Thats just it Al...I last checked them out 6 months back & vowed never to own one but now they are a lot better than my 17".
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    but not better than
    Humungus wrote:
    Thats just it Al...I last checked them out 6 months back & vowed never to own one but now they are a lot better than my 17".
    but not better than an LG flatron-it sounds as if everything is better than your 17 inch
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    I just splurged for 2GB of ram for my lappy, 512mb was just not cutting it. TO think that money could have gone towards a lens.... ne_nau.gif
    edited August 18, 2005
    Just had a look at a Toshiba laptop that had a 2048 x 1536 screen .. 2 gig ram & 256 vid card eek7.gif

What a difference to my old CRT !!!!