Options

One from 2010-02-27

spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited March 4, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I am still trying to find my eye for this, but I think this one isn't too bad. What do you think?

801290675_SytkH-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wrzwaldowrzwaldo Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Subject works for me, B&W works, but that flag in the foreground was distracting me. I wanted to see how it would look without it (quick and dirty). Hope you don't mind.

801290675_SytkH-L_1aE.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    wrzwaldo wrote:
    Subject works for me, B&W works, but that flag in the foreground was distracting me. I wanted to see how it would look without it (quick and dirty). Hope you don't mind.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the pole is a bit of a problem, but I think editing it out kind of goes against the nature of the genre.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 4, 2010
    spb13 wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the pole is a bit of a problem, but I think editing it out kind of goes against the nature of the genre.
    To clone or not to clone? lol3.gif I don't think that's the real question, since I don't think wrzwaldo was saying that's a good solution here. Rather, the point is to train yourself to be aware of extraneous or distracting things while you are shooting. It's harder than it sounds, since the human brain is remarkably good at filtering out things that are in our field of vision but are not of interest at the moment. The camera is less forgiving--what it sees it what you get. I don't know what you were going for exactly, but I doubt that it was a pole blocking part of the woman's face. You saw some interesting lines here--which is good--but missed the elephant in the frame. Keep shooting. With practice it gets a bit easier. deal.gif
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif

I almost commented on this last night, but fell asleep. But, I couldn't agree more with Richard.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Been there, done that. Richard is so right. My brain ignores this sort of thing ALL the time. Laughing.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 4, 2010
    The phenomenon is known to psychologists as inattentional or perceptual blindness. A famous experiment by Daniel Simons and Christopher Chabris had subjects watch a short video clip of people in white and black tee shirts passing a basketball back and forth. They were asked to count the number of times the white team's ball changed hands. Try it yourself. Here's a link.

Don't read the rest of this post till you have done it.

OK, did you see the gorilla? Half of all the subjects did not.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    Thanks everybody. I knew it was a problem when I processed the image, but since they are on every single cart at Ikea it is to some extent part of the story. :D

Here is another shot I took the same day.

801284621_bkwmH-L.jpg