Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM Lens

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited March 3, 2010 in Cameras
Does anyone have one of these Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM Lenses and if so, how do you like it and what sort of pix have you been taking with it?
Thank you.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 3, 2010
    I don't have one but they are indeed one of Canon's best lenses and truly deserve the "L" designation.

The lens is now in the second generation with faster focus as the primary benefit. I believe that the f1.8 version is faster focus yet so for a sports application, that would be recommended.

If you want extreme sharpness and that optional dreamy bokeh look, the Canon EF 85mm, f1.2L II USM is awfully hard to beat.

Best reviews:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.2-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.2-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/163-canon-ef-85mm-f12-usm-l-test-report--review
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jan1prsjan1prs Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    85 comparison
    I have both the 1.2 and 1.8, as for the difference.
    1.2 better DOF, low light shooting, speed, tiny bit clearer and great at all apertures, build quality not just seeing but feeling
    the only real negatives are that it feels like a boat anchor if you carry it with a 1V all day and it does hunt for focus at times
    1.8 focus faster, lighter, 1/5 the price
    negatives better stopped down just a little (but not much) and build is not on the same level as L

I looked at your gallery and if I were going to pick one for the horse, it would be the 1.2 because you can do things with it
    that no other lens can do in portraits.
    Nice images
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Thank you both for all the great info and comparisons. I did some more research and decided to order a 1.8. The paper thin DOF on the 1.2 kinda freaked me out. Laughing.gif I do alot of people portraits too so I think it will be quite handy for that as well as horses. :) (not to mention it's like 6x cheaper... shhhhhh).
    jan1prs wrote:
    I have both the 1.2 and 1.8, as for the difference.
    1.2 better DOF, low light shooting, speed, tiny bit clearer and great at all apertures, build quality not just seeing but feeling
    the only real negatives are that it feels like a boat anchor if you carry it with a 1V all day and it does hunt for focus at times
    1.8 focus faster, lighter, 1/5 the price
    negatives better stopped down just a little (but not much) and build is not on the same level as L

I looked at your gallery and if I were going to pick one for the horse, it would be the 1.2 because you can do things with it
    that no other lens can do in portraits.
    Nice images