Sutro Baths San Francisco

rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
edited March 4, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Headed down there at sunset and took some HDRs. C&C welcome! I really like HDRs now - makes it hard to just take one photo of a scene.

#1 up above sun is setting
799783780_Fo5hy-L.jpg

#2 Down low, the triple birds are from the bracketed exposure. I think it's kind of cool actually.
799783763_GqsSx-L.jpg

799783788_Mz5ih-L.jpg

799783779_e3n6P-L.jpg

#5 sun has set
799783756_Sn9PR-L.jpg

799783760_NNJk8-L.jpg

#7 Not an HDR but single exposure
801424190_aEXoi-L.jpg

#8 Turned around to go home and took one last pic
799783773_7aKJs-L.jpg

Comments

• MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    They are all absolutely stunning. I can't even pick a favorite. You are so lucky to live near such a beautiful place.
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Wow, those are some stunning images. After seeing these and a recent short film from Philip Bloom, I *really* want to go there.

Sea from Philip Bloom on Vimeo

Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    This kind of HDR processing reminds me of psychedelic mushrooms. Colors get exaggerated in a similar way and have a sort of inner-glow effect like this. I suppose that's good if your goal is to create pictures that look like drug trips, but these aren't pictures I would really want to spend any time looking at. They lack any trace of subtlety, and not being terribly distinguished compositionally, they have to rely on hitting the viewer with a chromatic baseball bat to get attention. The best shot here, by a long way, is the last one, which either isn't HDR or uses it much more delicately.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    I really like these.......I think they are FANTASTIC......love the DR of the images.

How many stops do you bracket +and - ??
    Do you shoot the correctly metered shot first or in the middle?

Thanks for sharing the GREAT IMAGES!!bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 3, 2010
    IMO, extreme HDR processing overpowers the subject. It can be useful in graphic design to create an attention-getting background, but an ad shot requires an even more attention-getting subject. The colors here are nice and I rather enjoyed the triple birds. I lived in SF for a long time and have photographed the Sutro Baths, but I think if it had not been for the title, I wouldn't have recognized them. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on what your goals are, I suppose.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Howdy RS,

I am not normally a fan of hyped up HDR, but these are very nicely done.

I especially like all the water and the reflections, the Bird one is just very cool and shows well .

I also like how you've not blown things out, seems like all of mine are usually a little too much and have almost a "Hole" in there were the light was coming from or the Sun.

I'd be interested to see how a couple of these look by just using the images stacked for dynamic range.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    The range of opinions to these pictures serves, once again, to highlight the different attitudes toward HDR. Personally, I find these shots way over-cooked for my taste. Others, obviously, feel much more open to the manipulations. Something for everyone......and that's always a good thing.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    You did a wonderful job on your photos. I really like the 3rd one thumb.gif
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Thanks for the comments, on both sides :) I'm not here to convince anyone about HDR at all; to each his own. I see a lot of HDR that makes me want to puke, personally. Again, thanks for the comments. I value all feedback!
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    I really like these.......I think they are FANTASTIC......love the DR of the images.

How many stops do you bracket +and - ??
    Do you shoot the correctly metered shot first or in the middle?

Thanks for sharing the GREAT IMAGES!!bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb

Five shots +1. Whether or not I use EV depends on the circumstance.
  • RobYatRobYat Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Awesome! Great compositions and PP.
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    This kind of HDR processing reminds me of psychedelic mushrooms. Colors get exaggerated in a similar way and have a sort of inner-glow effect like this. I suppose that's good if your goal is to create pictures that look like drug trips, but these aren't pictures I would really want to spend any time looking at. They lack any trace of subtlety, and not being terribly distinguished compositionally, they have to rely on hitting the viewer with a chromatic baseball bat to get attention. The best shot here, by a long way, is the last one, which either isn't HDR or uses it much more delicately.

You must be high, these are great. :D

Seriously, I think the color and comp in # 6 is great.