Windows

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited March 7, 2010 in Street and Documentary
801479828_FAd3w-XL.jpg

Comments

• KianKian Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    I really like this shot. But IMO the chinese new year decor on the left side of the picture is kind of distracting mwink.gif
    Visit my smugsite: http://kian.smugmug.com
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    Kian wrote:
    I really like this shot. But IMO the chinese new year decor on the left side of the picture is kind of distracting mwink.gif

Thanks! It might be that everything in this shot is distracting...eek7.gif
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    Kian wrote:

Yeah, OK, but you have to understand that some of us - me, anyway - didn't know these were Chinese New Year decor items. They looked appropriate in the image to me.

It's a busy image, but interesting.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 6, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Thanks! It might be that everything in this shot is distracting...eek7.gif

There is an awful lot going on in this shot. Much of it is interesting including--maybe even especially--the costumes on the left, but I don't know what the subject is supposed to be. ne_nau.gif
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    It works for me. I think the subject is chaos of a busy street. It conveys that feeling of hub-bub on a busy city street, confusing, lots to take in, feeling overwhelmed by the activity. There's so much to see. I keep going back to look for more that I've missed. I especially like the reflection of the older woman on the left and the dark knife sitting in the window next to the meat. I might up the contrast a bit more.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited March 7, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    There is an awful lot going on in this shot. Much of it is interesting including--maybe even especially--the costumes on the left, but I don't know what the subject is supposed to be. ne_nau.gif

I don't know either... ne_nau.gif BUT if the words were English, and not Chinese, our eyes would be instantly drawn to them to overwhelm the shot. With them being largely unrecognizable, they become part of the "montage".
    edited March 7, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    It works for me. I think the subject is chaos of a busy street. It conveys that feeling of hub-bub on a busy city street, confusing, lots to take in, feeling overwhelmed by the activity. There's so much to see. I keep going back to look for more that I've missed. I especially like the reflection of the older woman on the left and the dark knife sitting in the window next to the meat. I might up the contrast a bit more.

Thanks for your comments. I do like the blending and confusion of what is inside and what is outside. It's like a "find these objects" picture in Highlights magazine that I use to love as a child.