797677641_vHthm-XL-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Not sure this one works--yes/no/maybe?

Fire Island? The 1980s?
    It works as part of something. Alone? Not so sure. The question then becomes, what is it?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Fire Island? The 1980s?
    It works as part of something. Alone? Not so sure. The question then becomes, what is it?

Close--South Beach, Ocean Drive, last week--but I can see the comparison.

Ok so it doesn't work alone.

So yes, it is a gay bar at happy hour. It is the funnest place to be--or at least it always seems that way and I was hoping to capture that--it is a bit of a meat market--was hoping to capture that too. I like the older gent in the shot--he looks like a kid in a candy store.

And I guess if you have to ask what it is--then it definately doesn't work.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    One of the things I love about your shots is where you manage to get yourself before you press the shutter. There is so much potential in each image. I like the shot, but I didn't get the Gay part until you'd mentioned it. But then I'm dense sometimes.
    edited March 3, 2010
    Close--South Beach, Ocean Drive, last week--but I can see the comparison.

Ok so it doesn't work alone.

So yes, it is a gay bar at happy hour. It is the funnest place to be--or at least it always seems that way and I was hoping to capture that--it is a bit of a meat market--was hoping to capture that too. I like the older gent in the shot--he looks like a kid in a candy store.

And I guess if you have to ask what it is--then it definately doesn't work.

Well it is definitely clear it's a gay bar - I was going to ask if "happy" was a euphemism. rolleyes1.gif It's one of those 'close, but not quite there' shots. (And yes, that older gent does indeed look like a kid in a candy store. :D )
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited March 3, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    One of the things I love about your shots is where you manage to get yourself before you press the shutter. There is so much potential in each image. I like the shot, but I didn't get the Gay part until you'd mentioned it. But then I'm dense sometimes.

Dense indeed! A bar at happy hour and it's all men - or virtually all? rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    The title does clue us in... not sure if that is good or bad. So it is good depiction of the scene, but probably lacks a strong subject to tie it together. What if you had the older guy in the foreground gazing (leering?) at the other specimens...
    edited March 3, 2010
    michswiss wrote:

That made me laugh :)--I thought the only obvious thing about this shot was that it was a gay bar.
    I agree with you and B.D. both that's it's not quite there and is missing something.

I'll keep at it.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 3, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Dense indeed! A bar at happy hour and it's all men - or virtually all? rolleyes1.gif

don't forget the bare chests--you don't see that around too much these days--sad to say rolleyes1.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 3, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    The title does clue us in... not sure if that is good or bad. So it is good depiction of the scene, but probably lacks a strong subject to tie it together. What if you had the older guy in the foreground gazing (leering?) at the other specimens...

"specimens" she says rolleyes1.gif .
    I think there are too many possibilities for the main subject--and none are strong enough. Too bad I can't work the older man into more focus and make him a stronger subject (I like the way he's stirring his drink, as if contemplating which one to take home--that's how I see it anyway).

I also like the guy on the bottom right almost playing with his hair and looks to be flirting with someone, making eyes almost.

The guy on the left with his shades on looking and smiling--but at who, a friend, a hot guy?

They just all look so damn happy to be there, I love it!
    Maybe a better title (if we were into titling) would have been "Oh the possibilities"--
    So while I love the shot--I know it's not strong enough.

Thank you for commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    SO close Liz. If only that older guy was more prominent. mwink.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography