Options

Acratech Ball Head

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited May 9, 2010 in Accessories
I am seriously considering purchasing this ball head to replace my Manfrotto trigger rease ball head. Anyone have any opinions or experience regarding this product?

http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=69
Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    I've used it and it just can't compare the RRS Ballheads. What are your needs? What lenses do you use?
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    I've used it and it just can't compare the RRS Ballheads. What are your needs? What lenses do you use?

I want the ability to do stitching, and gimbal for wildlife. My largest lens is a 300 with 1.4.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    I just purchased an Acratech GV2. I haven't had a chance to really use it yet but it seems well built.

I got this along with a new carbon fiber tripod to improve stability, optimize camera height (for me) and reduce weight.

So far I am happy.

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    I just purchased an Acratech GV2. I haven't had a chance to really use it yet but it seems well built.

I got this along with a new carbon fiber tripod to improve stability, optimize camera height (for me) and reduce weight.

So far I am happy.

Sam

It looks like the Acratech GB and GV are very similar, except that with the GB, you can turn it upside down.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    I want the ability to do stitching, and gimbal for wildlife. My largest lens is a 300 with 1.4.

Then you should get a Wimberly for real - the pseudo-gimbal is just that, IMO.

Try the BH-40, awesome head.
  • Options
    GH41GH41 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Then you should get a Wimberly for real - the pseudo-gimbal is just that, IMO.

Try the BH-40, awesome head.

I have a GP and will agree that it will never replace a real gimbal head. It is usefull for turning the camera if you don't have an L plate. My reason for buying Acratech is I like the open design and light weight. Not much can go wrong with it. I wouldn't hesitate to rinse it off with a hose! GH
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    Dan I have the GV2, it will work as a pseudo gimbal but definitely not as well as the real thing. The bushing on the stem makes it work better than ones that do not have it.
    It is a quality item and I use it for my 200mm f2 with TCs and it handles it well enough.
    They state in the specs handles up to a 400mm f4 which is much lighter than a 400mm f2.8
    Use the gimbal for is I am switching between portrait and landscape a lot. Sometimes for BIF if I am going to be there a while and the birds are working a known pattern. BIF most times I handhold
    Easy to keep clean in the AZ enviroment
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Dan I have the GV2, it will work as a pseudo gimbal but definitely not as well as the real thing. The bushing on the stem makes it work better than ones that do not have it.
    It is a quality item and I use it for my 200mm f2 with TCs and it handles it well enough.
    They state in the specs handles up to a 400mm f4 which is much lighter than a 400mm f2.8
    Use the gimbal for is I am switching between portrait and landscape a lot. Sometimes for BIF if I am going to be there a while and the birds are working a known pattern. BIF most times I handhold
    Easy to keep clean in the AZ enviroment

Thanks Chris. That is very helpful. The main thing I am missing with my current head is the ability to pan for stitching. I think this head might well suit my needs for this.:D
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    I use the BH-40 LRll , Dan.

It will last forever...having been a Machine Builder in another life, I can appreciate the way this thing is made...none better...period.

BTW...the wieght specs for this ballhead are very conservative. I've used it with a pro body and a 400 DO IS lens with no worry.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks Chris. That is very helpful. The main thing I am missing with my current head is the ability to pan for stitching. I think this head might well suit my needs for this.:D

Not having done much of that I could not recommend, but Andy has, a good point if I was to do it over again I would probably go with the RSS. I have seen it touch it fumble with it. Nice stuff
    Acra tech is good if weight is a consideration
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    Dan ...

I had the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead and now have a RRS BH-55 PCL. So, it's safe to say I've experience with both deal.gif

The Acratech works. It's easy to maintain (I never had to do anything but blow the dust out a couple of times). It's light. It's pretty well designed, though the weird angle of the ball clamp was something that takes some getting used to. Yes, I know this isn't the same as the one you are considering, but they are siblings, so.... One area in which this thing falls short is in the "clamp it down and it stays." With the Acratech, this just didn't apply. I always had to make allowances for droop when I was setting up a shot.

Not so with the BH-55. When I clamp it down, it just stays. No ifs, not buts. It. Just. Stays. And, the panning clamp is really, really nice. That, along with the panning rail, make it super simple to get the camera level and get the individual shots of the pano to align. I did a quick test of about a dozen shots (full 360° pano) and the alignment across the entire set wasn't off by more than about 2% or 3% (just a rough number, I didn't actually measure it).
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2010
    Pullled the trigger on the RRS BH-40. Thanks everyone.

They tell me they will be coming out with their own gimbal head very soon.

Dan
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 5, 2010
    You certainly won't regret that decision, Daniel. I have the BH-55 which is overkill. My original thinking was that I'd use it with larger lenses like the 500. But realistically, you want to go full gimbal with the super teles, so the BH-55 never sees a big lens. It still make me happy every time I use it though, and the heavier weight just means more exercise to help keep the beer gut away. mwink.gif Realistically, the BH-40 probably makes better sense.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    You certainly won't regret that decision, Daniel. I have the BH-55 which is overkill. My original thinking was that I'd use it with larger lenses like the 500. But realistically, you want to go full gimbal with the super teles, so the BH-55 never sees a big lens. It still make me happy every time I use it though, and the heavier weight just means more exercise to help keep the beer gut away. mwink.gif Realistically, the BH-40 probably makes better sense.

Thanks Joel. That was my thinking regarding my future 500 rolleyes1.gif It will sit on a gimbal.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    Pullled the trigger on the RRS BH-40.

clap.gif Get it yet?
    dlplumer wrote:

I'd like to see that. ylsuper.gif
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    clap.gif Get it yet?

I'd like to see that. ylsuper.gif

Yes, and I really like it. I am now a RRS believer, and I will probably add to my collection of stuff eventually so that I can do precision panoramas.

Thanks for helping to push me in the right direction on this Ric.thumb.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 12, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    Really? That's interesting. I'll be very surprised if they can improve on the Wimberly though, which just seems like perfection and is a joy to use. Knowing RRS it won't be any cheaper either. :nah

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Really? That's interesting. I'll be very surprised if they can improve on the Wimberly though, which just seems like perfection and is a joy to use. Knowing RRS it won't be any cheaper either. :nah

Cheers,
    -joel

Yeah, if and when I buy the 500, I will likely do what you did and buy the W. Glad to hear you are loving it.
  • Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    I've had the GV2 for a couple years now. Nice head, light weight works fine, no complaints. The gimbal feature works OK for occasional use.
  • Options
    t3hitet3hite Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2010
    Andy wrote: »

I'm also thinking about upgrading my ballhead and have a couple more questions. I mostly shoot light lenses (28mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8) on a 5D or lighter body. I might get a mid range zoom like a 28-105 2.8 or 70-200 2.8 but those are big lenses for my taste.

I own the original Acratech Ultimate balllhead.
    Weight capacity - Satisfied
    Smooth operation – Adequate
    Maintenance - Satisfied
    Ergonomics - Not Happy

I want a head that will work well for hiking and mountain bike rides. I was attracted by the better ergonomics offered by the Acratech GP and the option of reversing it for panning use. I'm also considering the BH-40 or BH-30 heads but the panning solution isn't quite as nice. I do like the easy open design of the Acratech for cleaning.