Wacom Tablet

RobYatRobYat Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited March 5, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Howdy,

Just got a Intuos 4 Small tablet for my birthday. Any tips, tricks or complaints? I have used an older tablet, and didnt like it to much. I read that that sensitivity is much better on this model.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Sorry my tablet is very old but stil works great......would never go back to editing in PS with a mouse or any thing besides the tablet and pen.....I even tried a mouse pen that allowed me to work directly on my screen and hated it...........If there was a truly affordable 17-24" tablet pc with stylus then I would probably let my tablet and pen go to the way side............mwink.gifwink
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RobYatRobYat Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Just starting out in photoshop. From what I have read it is the only way to go. We will see.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    I will say I wish mine was a lot larger......it is a 4x6 work space........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    A friend just passed down his old Wacom CTE-640 to me. He upgraded and was being generous.

I love it! I don't know why I have not gotten one sooner.

I have been scanning in some old 15 and 20 year old film negatives, and it is painfully obvious that my shoebox storage system has not been kind to them. It was painful, the amount of time it was taking to repair the images. Now using the tablet is but a fraction of the time, also a lot more wrist and finger friendly.

This quick repair would have taken me 20/30 mins using the mouse.

798723059_pvq5d-L.jpg

But with the tablet, I just sit back, put it in my lap and draw. Maybe 5 mins, invested.

798723146_misbe-L.jpg
    Duke
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    has anyone played with Cintiq yet? worth the moneys?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Foques wrote:

Now this looks like a good idea! Where is that drool smiley?

Check out the 21ux, Wowzers!
    Duke
    edited March 4, 2010
    @duke looks like the tablet works well for you. That Cintiq looks great, but like everything else your gonna pay for it.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    I have the Cintiq 21. My main use is not for photography, but if you think a regular tablet makes you more productive you ain't seen nothn' yet!

Whether that extra productivity is worth it depends on what you are doing with it of course.
    Foques wrote:
  • J.G.McClainJ.G.McClain Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    I use a Wacom Intuos4, Medium.

I think after the camera its my favorite piece of hardware.

I love, love LOVE being able to set tools and shortcuts to the hot switches.

Only recommendation I would have is ff you have not mapped commands that you use the most to some of the keys, and take full advantage of the radial dial, makes picking opacity and flow very easy.

While I think tablet set up is a extremely personal preference, if you would like a map of how I have mine set up let me know I would be happy to share.
    Jason G. McClain
    Melissa McClain Photography
    www.melissamcclainphotography.com
    edited March 4, 2010
    Thanks for the offer. I have started to play around with it. Let me get a feel for it and then I will probably understand your setup a little better.

The only thing that I am a little skeptical about is the size. I feel that the medium might have been a better choice. I am gonna stick it out for now and learn especially since it was a gift.
  • J.G.McClainJ.G.McClain Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    If it has the perssion mode, you may find that you have all the space you need. I on occasion find the medium just a bit to big, but then again I do 90% of my editing in the middle of the screen.
    Jason G. McClain
    Melissa McClain Photography
    www.melissamcclainphotography.com
  • printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    I, too, got a tablet for my birthday at the beginning of Feb., but I am SO intimated by it. I really, really wanted it and my husband really surprised me, but I was sure what to do with it after I got it...Laughing.gif. ne_nau.gif I guess I need to play with it some more to get a feel for it.
    ~ Nora

WebsiteBlogFacebookTwitter
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    dixonduke wrote:
    Now this looks like a good idea! Where is that drool smiley?

Check out the 21ux, Wowzers!

Very cool. 2 grand? eek7.gif WOW!
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • Cocoa the catCocoa the cat Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2010
    I have a Cintiq 12wx and the only complaint I have is resolution but if you have a good monitor hooked up to it also to check for accuracy and color it would help.
    I am just starting to use it and working directly on the image is very nice. Being able to get comfy and not hovering over a table is priceless.