Navajo Snow

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited March 4, 2010 in Landscapes

Comments

• AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Ha you can't hide from me. Even if I did have to follow this from challenges.rolleyes1.gif

Another very nice image Dan.thumb.gif
    It may be my eyes or my monitor but it seems to be lacking some pop, almost as if its a tad hazy. If it is me or that was your intent please feel free to burn me in effigy. :D
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Togetherness of the buttes is challenge worthy.
    Beautiful Danclap.gif
    I had to track him down too
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Togetherness of the buttes is challenge worthy.
    Beautiful Danclap.gif
    I had to track him down too

Ha. Too bad it does not fit in the time window, but thanks.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Hey Dan,

I really like this shot. I've never seen a picture of the buttes quite like this. Great job.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited March 3, 2010
    AndMan wrote:
    Ha you can't hide from me. Even if I did have to follow this from challenges.rolleyes1.gif

Another very nice image Dan.thumb.gif
    It may be my eyes or my monitor but it seems to be lacking some pop, almost as if its a tad hazy. If it is me or that was your intent please feel free to burn me in effigy. :D

Thanks AndMan. Yes, I intentionally wanted to keep the contrast down, and emphasize the soft pastel colors a la Coscorrosa.
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Love the buttes and snow but there is just way too much uninteresting sky IMO, Dan. Maybe cropped as a pano ??? ne_nau.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Love the detail in the snow with the contrasting buttes. I agree that the sky is a little dull. It has almost the same luminosity as the snow. I wonder if applying a darkening gradient or just bringing down the luminosity of the sky a little would help the separation.
    edited March 4, 2010
    A different look based upon comments:

802293574_H3YsR-XL.jpg
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Mobetta thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited March 4, 2010
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Beautiful and fresh! Love it. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 4, 2010
    Dan, winter is such great time to shoot the Southwest - white snow and red rocks just look so lovely together.

I liked the negative space in your first image, myself ne_nau.gif I thought the cloud was a lovely element in the sky, which is severed in your pano version.

Frequently the sky over Monument Valley is difficult due to its being filled with multiple jet contrails, which seem out of time in that environment, and are un-attractive to boot.

I liked your sky!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited March 4, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    Dan, winter is such great time to shoot the Southwest - white snow and red rocks just look so lovely together.

I liked the negative space in your first image, myself ne_nau.gif I thought the cloud was a lovely element in the sky, which is severed in your pano version.

Frequently the sky over Monument Valley is difficult due to its being filled with multiple jet contrails, which seem out of time in that environment, and are un-attractive to boot.

I liked your sky!

Thanks much Jim. I thought it worked, but photography is soooo subjective. I do really appreciate hearing everyone's coaching/opinions because it makes me look at other options. In the final analysis however, we all have to choose what works for us, otherwise you can go crazy trying to appeal to all.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Aw, Dan--you sure you can't please everyone all the time? I can! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I think this is a wonderful scene, so peaceful. I think I prefer the last one the best. I, too, liked the negative space in the first one . . . until I saw the pano with "pop." IMO, this one works the best.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Great shot Dan. I'm headed up that way next week to Antelope Canyon and North to Coyote Gulch in Utah. I halfway hope I will get some snow to enhance my photo ops.

Now ifI just had the skills to match the opportunity...hmm :D
    edited March 4, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    Aw, Dan--you sure you can't please everyone all the time? I can! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I think this is a wonderful scene, so peaceful. I think I prefer the last one the best. I, too, liked the negative space in the first one . . . until I saw the pano with "pop." IMO, this one works the best.

Lauren

Thanks Laurenrolleyes1.gif:D
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Great shot, Dan! I like the "pop" version, but I do prefer the crop on the first version. Any chance we could convince you to pop that version? mwink.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos