Headshots

fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited March 4, 2010 in People
C&C ALWAYS welcome!

Some headshots form our theater's most recent show. Shots are a little boring composition wise IMO but I had strict guidelines in terms of what the director wanted to put in.

Shot with a 40D with a 70-200 F/2.8 L

Shot in a makeshift studio, just a big black drape hung in the lobby of our theater.

Lit with just my 580EX II on camera bounced off the ceiling
801914163_U4gxX-L.jpg

Naturally lit from giant window behind the camera plus my 580EX II on camera
801914096_DjQUL-L.jpg

Same lighting as above
801914013_mhLEo-L.jpg

Lit from a single Desisti (sp?) as a fill light, key light my 580EX II on camera
801913945_qfFm3-L.jpg

Same light as above
801913812_TByia-L.jpg
Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
16-35 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 24-105 4.0L
www.timkerigan.com

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    First one ROCKS - absolutely fabulous.

I would play with the crops on the others - lose as much of the background as possible (especially where it grows out of the back of the head :D), and make those eyes the main attraction! I swear that the crop/tilt function in LR is the best -makes it possible to play with the crops endlessly wysiwyg utnil you find what looks good.

You've got good-lookin' subjects - show 'em off! :D Lighthanded skin retouching and a bit of dodging/burning eyes would be good too.

Oh, also - remember that headshots are typically 8x10 - you'll need to change the ratio when you crop....
  • RobYatRobYat Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    Good stuff. It looks like the individuals in the 2nd and 3rd shots are straining to look up at you.
  • Nate15Nate15 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    The first one is by far my favorite. Good job.
    The bigger the chalenge, the more room for success.

Canon EOS Rebel XSi
    18-55mm EF-S lens
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    The show must have been fabulous, seeing some of the cast. #1 stands out, but the smiles on all are there.
    Growing with Dgrin

• fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010

The first one is by far my favorite, Tania and I spent a long time before we came up with one she liked haha.

I was kicking myself for days about those stupid shadows in the background on those two though, totally didn't notice when I was shooting, hopefully we'll reshoot theirs if they're in our next show.

Out of curiosity which do you think looks better, the brightly lit backgrounds or the more traditional ones?
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    16-35 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 24-105 4.0L
    www.timkerigan.com
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010

The first one is by far my favorite, Tania and I spent a long time before we came up with one she liked haha.

I was kicking myself for days about those stupid shadows in the background on those two though, totally didn't notice when I was shooting, hopefully we'll reshoot theirs if they're in our next show.

Out of curiosity which do you think looks better, the brightly lit backgrounds or the more traditional ones?

The brightly lit backgrounds have vertical lines that jump out of their heads...not good.

I'm not a big fan of the wrinkled sheet look in number two. One and three are my favorites as far as back ground goes.

In the future, please number your photos for comment purposes.

Your number one shot is great...and the last one is also very nice, excepting the black line right behind her head, as previously mentioned.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    In this context, the darker one since it just melts away. But given current trends in headshots - natural light and loft/urban chic/outdoor/non-studio environments- there's nothing wrong with just using shallow depth of field to melt the bg away.

There's a gal in NY who's popular right now - her style is pushed probably the closest to "fashion styling" that I've seen for actors, but it's definitely a look that's out there right now to a lesser or greater degree

http://www.hoebermannstudio.com/headshots/headshots.html

And before you do headshots, it's always worth a glance through the Reproductions galleries www.reproductions.com (enter a zip to get to either the LA or NYC directory) - the links to the 'tog galleries are great for ideas, and just seeing what's currently out there so's to give clients what they need. If your shots were for lobby cards rather than to give to the actors to use as promo/submission shots that may mean you shoot to the directors' taste, but even so - it always helps to know what's out there!
  • thomasjmthomasjm Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Personally I like the fifth (or the last one if my counting is off) as the best. I like how the background matches her hair color. It really gives off a sense of her personality.

And I know a lot of people in their comments expressed that they liked the first one. I don't like the angle of the shot. It looks like the photographer was higher up than the model, shot down, and from the side. To me it just isn't the most flattering angle.

Although great work. Headshots are really challenging.