Hunger strike

StaystillStaystill Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited March 7, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Maxi here is the baby of the family, posing here before her food dish. The new food I bought is not to her liking so....Back to the store I guess:D

maxipose.jpg
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams

My Photoblog: Mind Tap media

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    I want to compliment you on your latest series of cat shots. I've enjoyed them all. I couldn't help but laugh at your comment about having to go back to the store because of Maxi's taste....or lack thereof. I've got 5 cats and trying to juggle what they'll eat and what they won't will put you in the insane asylum.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StaystillStaystill Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Thanks, they are fun to shoot:D

"Just go out and get the stuff shaped like little fishies OK!"

maxifly.jpg
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams

• wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Beautiful portraits.
    edited March 4, 2010
    Thanks Wendell.

I think I got the right fish shaped ones. Here Maxi looks up at the bag on the counter staring at the little fish shapes on the bag in approval I hope:D

better%20be.jpg

• MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    I love these cat shots. They are so clear and the cat's personality seems to come through. I don't have cats but I would think this is not an easy feat to accomplish.
  • CdorothyCdorothy Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    I absolutely love your kitty shots. They are fantastic. My two cats basically sleep. Thanks for sharing.
    edited March 5, 2010
    I've bee looking at them again and I'm wondering how you did the backgrounds? They look great.
    edited March 5, 2010
    Thanks... The first shot was done with a 50mm f1.8 @f8 bouncing sb600 off white ceiling, the cat was sitting about one foot away from off white/yellow wall.
    The last two were shot with Nikon 70-300 f4.5-5.6 @f5.3 with sb600 bounced off white ceiling so the background is just the natural bokeh the lens gives at that setting.

PS...In the last two the room was quite dark and the background made up of muted, dark colors. Being only four to five feet from the cat the bounce from the ceiling landed mostly on the subject with hardly any spill to the BG.

edited March 5, 2010
    Staystill wrote:
    Thanks... The first shot was done with a 50mm f1.8 @f8 bouncing sb600 off white ceiling, the cat was sitting about one foot away from off white/yellow wall.
    The last two were shot with Nikon 70-300 f4.5-5.6 @f5.3 with sb600 bounced off white ceiling so the background is just the natural bokeh the lens gives at that setting.

PS...In the last two the room was quite dark and the background made up of muted, dark colors. Being only four to five feet from the cat the bounce from the ceiling landed mostly on the subject with hardly any spill to the BG.

Wow, you are good. They look like they were done in some kind of cat portrait studio. I just love them. "Just go out and get the stuff shaped like little fishies OK!" is my favorite. That cat's got attitude. :D

What camera did you use for these?
    edited March 5, 2010
    Thanks...The first one was taken with a d700, the last two were with a d90.

PS... this cat is chock full of attitude but generally doesn't sit around looking like the second shotrolleyes1.gif I just shoot maybe ten images and hope I get a good shot. Kittens can be tough because they're fidgety, by the time you're ready there's only a blurry ear in the final capture. I get lucky with the expressions sometimes and that comes from shooting her a lot. I think she'd do real well as a mouser on a farm but fate instead placed her here within the confines of a third floor suburban apartment block. Maxi has attitude but she plays fair...She'll give you two warning shots, if you persist, you may come away with a hand full of slow leaks:D

edited March 6, 2010
    Staystill wrote:
    Thanks...The first one was taken with a d700, the last two were with a d90.
    So that ends my theory that people just have better cameras or other stuff. hmmm... So I have just about the same equipment, it's really all about the eye and the skill set. Maybe someday... [/sigh]
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    As a cat lover and a photographer, I love your shots clap.gif . Circumstances proclude me from having any right now and I really miss the ones that used to own me. My girlfriends son has a Chinese Water Dragon and we go once a week to the pet store. While he's getting lizard food, I'm at the cat cages getting and receiving love.