Cool typographic portrait tute I just did...

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited March 6, 2010 in People
Here is the tutorial... Now I want to see your take on it too! It was pretty easy and lots of fun! The distort>displace part was the coolest thing to see how it warped the words to reflect the highlights and shadows of the photo. Pretty neat! I confess I strayed from the directions just a scosh because I wanted the texture of the wall to show through a bit, but you can do whatever makes you happy.

Before:
792971653_nwzX3-M.jpg

After:
802540839_ykMrp-L.jpg

C & C always welcome, but what I want to see most is your try at it! :lust

Comments

• MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Cool - I love that you showed the before shot. It is very helpful. I would love a photo of my daughter like this. She is an avid reader, it would be pretty cool. I find I spend so much time trying out new things that I never cook any more. The natives may eventually revolt. mwink.gif
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    I just saw that tut on DGRIN, following some links on skin smoothing or such and I so wanted to try that one. Love it, thanks for posting the before as well as the final.thumb.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • EOS_JDEOS_JD Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    I'd like to see the text with a lower opacity. I like the original better.
  • pixelparablepixelparable Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    that tut was nice...but i thought i would show one i made by myself..a few weeks back...like ?
    edited March 5, 2010
    btw heather i really like your pic :)
    edited March 5, 2010
    Heather, you are my photoshop idol. Yours is way better than the sample photo in the tutorial. The eyes in your word one are still the focus. It is pretty hard to pull that off with such busy processing. That tutorial was really hard and time consuming - not to mention I only have photoshop elements so I couldn't follow it all the way through. um... I should also mention I just got a camera and photoshop a few weeks ago - I'm jumping right into the deep end with this one.

Here is my po' boy version:
    Brenna%20Words%202.jpg

pixelparable - yours is fantastic, so creative.
  • jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    So, one thing I think that bothers me about these is the covering of the face. For some reason I just looks "wrong" to me to cover up the face. headscratch.gif I wonder what would happen if you kept the words away from the important facial features like the eyes and mouth?
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    that tut was nice...but i thought i would show one i made by myself..a few weeks back...like ?

That is awesome! I love the texture of the background plus the cool brushes... Very fun and inspiring! The only negative I can see is the missing leg makes me wonder if she really does have a missing leg.rolleyes1.gif
    But I love the colors and feel of it. Very well done.iloveyou.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    Macushla wrote:

Here is my po' boy version:

Ha ha! And thanks! I masked out the eyes and lips just a bit to make them stand out a bit more. Apparently some folks think I should have gone a bit farther, but you know how opinions are... It is definately a look you have to be okay with unusual things.

Yours is a fun example! Though I wish all the fonts were the same... I think the goal is to make the paragraph indistinguishable, and have key words stand out... Though I have to confess I wish more of my journaling was readable, since I cracked myself up a few times while writing it.:D

She is adorable! And you can tell she has "things on her mind". *insert disclaimer about the lame joke*
    edited March 6, 2010
    Though I wish all the fonts were the same... I think the goal is to make the paragraph indistinguishable, and have key words stand out... Though I have to confess I wish more of my journaling was readable, since I cracked myself up a few times while writing it.:D

She is adorable! And you can tell she has "things on her mind". *insert disclaimer about the lame joke*

Truthfully I couldn't work out the same font thing - mine looked to structured. It takes me forever to do stuff in photoshop I am yet to master it. There weren't really any keywords - they are all quotes from my daughter's favorite books. Animal Farm, Fathers and Sons, 1984, Good Omens. She is a veracious reader.

This was fun and the best part is she thinks it's really cool. thumb.gif
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    Heather,

Plus one for you...

Really good work. Very nice.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited March 6, 2010
    Thanks Heather...btw i just went through your site and love your pics ...great work :)