New to the site and photography.

baysidebayside Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited March 7, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Just wanted to say hello. Just is my first image with my new camera of my daughter. Photo taken with automatic setting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29888&stc=1&d=1267746716

Comments

• EOS_JDEOS_JD Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    bayside wrote:
    Just wanted to say hello. Just is my first image with my new camera of my daughter. Photo taken with automatic setting.

No image?
  • MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Hey Bayside - I'm totally new too and I have the same camera I've had it about a month now. It's my first DLSR. It is a lot to learn. Looking forward to seeing some of your photos.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 5, 2010
    bayside wrote:

Hi bayside and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif. I don't see the pic either. headscratch.gifHow To Post on Dgrin
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    Welcome to Dgrin.

I can't see the pic either.

First recommendation: Get out of Auto mode. At the very least, go to Program AE mode, which is automatic but allows you to shift the exposure program. Later you can try the semi-auto modes Av and Tv, which let you manually set either aperture or shutter speed, respectively, and automatically set the other.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • baysidebayside Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2010
    EOS_JD wrote:
    No image?
    I posted it to my wedsite and the picture viewed to
    large. Then uploaded it here and address I guess failed. I'll try again.
    edited March 6, 2010
    WillCAD wrote:
    Welcome to Dgrin.

I can't see the pic either.

First recommendation: Get out of Auto mode. At the very least, go to Program AE mode, which is automatic but allows you to shift the exposure program. Later you can try the semi-auto modes Av and Tv, which let you manually set either aperture or shutter speed, respectively, and automatically set the other.

Okay, I got out of auto mode and here is a photo of my daughter in the middle and her friends, who came over for dressup.

dressupsm.jpg

I adjusted the aperture in the photo.
    edited March 6, 2010
    Eris, who stated she wants to be a doctor, when she grows up, but is such a princess.
    erisdoctor.jpg

okay, this was in Aperture mode: F7.1, shutter, 1/60, WB auto. Didn't know what to do about the backlight, but when children are playing you can't really tell a four-year old to hold that moment, while I adjust my white-balance. Suggestions?
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I'm not good with white balance or backlighting, but I have one suggestion: ZOOM. Zoom up tighter on the kids. Trying to show the background as part of the pic is a common mistake made by newbies; I still do it myself quite often. But pics of kids like those you posted usually look better if they're zoomed up tightly on the subject, eliminating extraneous background.

Another tip I've learned through experience: The pics you posted look like you told the kids, "Smile!", as so many people do before snapping a pic. Next time, tell a joke or do something silly before snapping, and get the kids laughing. Laughing pics are way better and more natural than forced or posed smile pics, particularly with a kid.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited March 7, 2010
    WillCAD wrote:
    I'm not good with white balance or backlighting, but I have one suggestion: ZOOM. Zoom up tighter on the kids. Trying to show the background as part of the pic is a common mistake made by newbies; I still do it myself quite often. But pics of kids like those you posted usually look better if they're zoomed up tightly on the subject, eliminating extraneous background.

Another tip I've learned through experience: The pics you posted look like you told the kids, "Smile!", as so many people do before snapping a pic. Next time, tell a joke or do something silly before snapping, and get the kids laughing. Laughing pics are way better and more natural than forced or posed smile pics, particularly with a kid.

Thanks, a lot. I'm so not used to zooming in to take pictures or getting up close. I will totally take that into my practice of coming up close. I often have to tell my daughter don't smile. She just does it naturally, when she notices that I am taking a picture, she smiles. I have to take more candid shots.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    bayside wrote:
    Thanks, a lot. I'm so not used to zooming in to take pictures or getting up close. I will totally take that into my practice of coming up close. I often have to tell my daughter don't smile. She just does it naturally, when she notices that I am taking a picture, she smiles. I have to take more candid shots.

Hello neighbor,
    That's some good advise you got--get closer for sure--eliminate the clutter--Pay attention to your surroundings which can many times detract from your subject. Learn how to shoot out of Auto mode--you can start with aperture etc and go from there. Auto mode is not your friend, lol.

Keep practicing and posting and asking questions--but also visit our "People" forum and "street/pj" forum and you will learn a whole lot. I try to do the candid moments myself and I have learned so much here.

Your little girl is adorable btw.

Welcome to dgrin.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 7, 2010
    Hello neighbor,
    That's some good advise you got--get closer for sure--eliminate the clutter--Pay attention to your surroundings which can many times detract from your subject. Learn how to shoot out of Auto mode--you can start with aperture etc and go from there. Auto mode is not your friend, lol.

Keep practicing and posting and asking questions--but also visit our "People" forum and "street/pj" forum and you will learn a whole lot. I try to do the candid moments myself and I have learned so much here.

Your little girl is adorable btw.

Welcome to dgrin.
    thanks, for the advice and the compliment. I plan on learning a lot from here.