Camera Ideas 5D2 Vs 7D

JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited March 8, 2010 in Cameras
Looking at getting a new camera would like to hear some thoughts on the Canon 5D Mark II Vs The 7D.....

Thank You

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    If you want full frame, the lowest sensor noise, and manual control over audio recording levels for video, get the 5D MKII.

If you want the more advanced autofocus system, faster still image frame rates, built-in remote Speedlight controller, and more flexible video frame rates, and save around $700, get the 7D.

If you wish you could afford a 7D and don't need the autofocus system, still frame rate, or the flash trigger, get a T2i.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 5, 2010
    It's always best to use the right tools for the job.

How do you intend to use the camera?

Be as explicit as possible about the activities and photographic categories you want to cover. Put the topics in the priority of importance.

Also, what equipment do you have now?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SittingElfSittingElf Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It's always best to use the right tools for the job.

How do you intend to use the camera?

Be as explicit as possible about the activities and photographic categories you want to cover. Put the topics in the priority of importance.

Also, what equipment do you have now?

I had the same issue as the OP. I solved it by getting BOTH! clap.gif
    My Equipment:
    Bodies: Canon- 5D Mark II, 7D, 50D, SD780IS, Sony DSC F828, DSC F717,
    Lenses: Canon EF16-35/f2.8L, EF24-105/f4L, EF100-400L, EF 50mm/1.8 II, EF100/2,8L, EF85/1.8 USM, MP-E65/2.8 1-5X, 15mm Fisheye, 70-200/f2.8L II
    Lighting: Canon 580EXII, 430EXII, MT-24EX, MR-14EX, Sony Hi Power, YinYan BY-180B Studio Strobes (3), Coco Ring Flash Adapter.
    Stability
    :Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, 322RC2, 498RC2, 454 Macro Slider, 175F-1 Clamps
    Video: Canon XHA1, HV-20 (2), HV-30
  • JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    I have two cameras now, just looking for a new one. I will be using it for Weddings, People, Action, Sports, Music.
    Don't know if I will be using the video on it? I have heard good & bad about all the focus points on the 7D from users.. Looking for great ISO, Fast, Sharp. I don't shoot with a Full Frame but might want the option? The price is not going to be the issue making the right choice for a Canon will be.

Thank You everyone for the replies..
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 5, 2010
    Jonnyyaya wrote:
    I have two cameras now, just looking for a new one. I will be using it for Weddings, People, Action, Sports, Music.
    Don't know if I will be using the video on it? I have heard good & bad about all the focus points on the 7D from users.. Looking for great ISO, Fast, Sharp. I don't shoot with a Full Frame but might want the option? The price is not going to be the issue making the right choice for a Canon will be.

Thank You everyone for the replies..

I'll have to guess, since you don't say, that you probably have Canon crop 1.6x camera bodies. (I read your FH post and you say that you have dSLR(s).)

Are you aware that any EF-S lenses will not fit the Canon 5D MKII? Will that impact your decision?

The 5D MKII is a wonderful wedding camera except that AF can suffer in low light. I do recommend the use of a ST-E2 transmitter for those situations where the use of an external flash is not allowed. The AF assist light of the ST-E2 is a benefit for any Canon camera, except that the 1D/1Ds series can do well without it.

The 5D MKII is just marvelous for the formals and family images and also very nice for the candids and you have a good option with the sRAW files. It does require the best lenses for best results.

The 7D is potentially faster to focus and it has 2 image processors to help with AF, exposure determination and image processing. Unfortunately low light AF may not be much different from the 5D MKII as they have similar AF modules and similar AF sensitivity. Large aperture lenses with ring USM probably have the best chance for accurate and speedy AF with these cameras.

The 7D has an advantage if you have any EF-S lenses and they will fit the 7D. Because of the very high pixel count the 7D also requires the very best lenses for best results. The 7D will have more random sensor noise than the 5D MKII at the same ISO setting.

In good light the 7D is a clearer choice for sports as the faster frame rate "and" more responsive performance should yield less total lag and more keepers.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 5, 2010
    My Bad Ziggy I have had both sizes of crop cameras I have 2 40D great cameras I use lots for action and a 5D that I am selling, had a old 1DS sold.
    Some great info that you passed on..
    Yes I have L series Lens I have heard with so many focus points the 7D may have focus issues for action? I don't know till I try one .. Less noise is a good thing with the 5DII..

24-70 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 24-105 2.8 / 100-400 / 17-40 / 16-35 / 15mm Fish and a few others.... 2 580 EXII Flash Pocket Wizards...
  • ABphotoABphoto Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 7, 2010
    Personally I don't quite understand the 7D, the price seems pretty extreme for an APS-C. What seems to come out of the literature is a gimmick driven design but very little substance, but maybe I'm missing something.

For the sports work then granted the extra speed would be an advantage but I occasionally shoot sport and find that I never get the shot in the second, third, fourth frame - it's always the first because this was composed correctly, the rest were backups in case I screwed up the first. Also I almost always use spot AF or full manual for sports, even fast moving sports I prefer to zone focus and wait for the action, I've tried the other methods but just don't find it intuitive.

I also shoot the ocasional gig and while the light is terrible so is the grain at ISO6400 on the 5D mkI, things have moved on a bit but I just can't see ISO12800 on a noisier APS-C sensor being an advantage.

For my money the 5D mkII would be the better technically, however like I said I may be missing something crucial.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    Jonnyyaya wrote:
    My Bad Ziggy I have had both sizes of crop cameras I have 2 40D great cameras I use lots for action and a 5D that I am selling, had a old 1DS sold.
    Some great info that you passed on..
    Yes I have L series Lens I have heard with so many focus points the 7D may have focus issues for action? I don't know till I try one .. Less noise is a good thing with the 5DII..

24-70 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 24-105 2.8 / 100-400 / 17-40 / 16-35 / 15mm Fish and a few others.... 2 580 EXII Flash Pocket Wizards...

Seems as if you have the experience for your answer -- the 5DII would be an upgrade to the 5DI and the 7D would be an upgrade to the 40D setup.

BTW, Canon just started a rebate on the 5DII & 7D today through 4/3. Also double rebates with some lens combos on them.
    edited March 8, 2010
    Thank You everyone for the great feedback. I am going to try and get both these cameras to test out...