Options

DSS #45: CC for "Countdown"

mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
edited March 8, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Upon several ideas I had for this week's challenge, I chose one in which I utilized a Speedlite strobe to take multiple exposures during a 168 second exposure. Two bursts of hard flash on the left and right sides of the subject + 1 pop of red on 3 + 1 pop of blue on 2. Thereby forming an image of a subject 'counting down' from 3 to 1. I covered the subject in a black velvet drape during the '3' and '2' pops, to make sure the body doesn't get exposed until the the final L + R pops, where it was dropped...it was a complicated procedure :rofl.

However, I'd like to see what you guys think in regards to cropping (vertical or horizontal) and perhaps subduing some of the color by desaturating the image by a minute amount.

802824021_MV4cD-L-1.jpg

Anyway, lmk what you guys think. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    While I think this is a very cool concept and you executed it beautifully--this is supp to be a single exposure challenge--So I am guessing your image would be DQ'd no? I hate to tell you that because you went through a whole lot for this shot.

Double check on it though just in case.

You asked about the crop--I would crop some of the darker side out so the image is not so centered--but that's my 2 cents.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    Technically Liz, I would see it as one single exposure because he did shoot only one frame. Final call would be left up to Kerry of course. However Mr. Peas, I don't really see the theme in this. It is a cool concept though and pulled off rather well. All that said, if you do follow through with this, I'd go with a verticle crop. Good luck!
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    this is supp to be a single exposure challenge
    I say it qualifies since it IS a single exposure, long, but single.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    I say it qualifies since it IS a single exposure, long, but single.

Thank you both for the education---

Now I know :)

Still a cool shot.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2010
    Liz- Yeah, it was a 168 second exposure with numerous flashes, it was fairly elaborate, I've include in this post, a super-exposed version of the RAW file showing a silhouette of the subject when only exposing the hands, by using 1/32 power on the flash itself for the white lights and 1/16 on the colors, they were able to discern themselves beautifully, that is unless you tweak the recovery sliders on the RAW file and you'll see EVERYTHING.

802959593_CeQjU-M.jpg

Kev- I took this week's challenge idea very broadly. The way I apply it to my image is in the way it was composed; that its apart in the case that the figures in the image was taken separately over a time period, and that it is together that it although the image was separated over a time period in sequence, in the end, the image is still together, that it continues to flow. Actually, I was hoping that I could show more than one person in the image counting down but that proved to be more difficult to show cleanly, so the hands moving together to show a flow of 3-2-1 made more sense. Hope that cleared things up.

Thank you everyone for the comments and ideas!!
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2010
    Here's the final copy and the one being entered:

804075571_7XHNQ-XL.jpg

This was a lot of fun to make. With all the great images already turned in, I'm eager to see the last-minute turnout for this week's challenge!
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    Crop is waaaaay better! clap.gif
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    Crop is waaaaay better! clap.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif I am so not worthy, to even think of doing something so creativeheadscratch.gif It most definitely fits the theme clap.gif

Winston
  • Options
    HowitzerHowitzer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    that is pretty dam cool
    http://3dogphotos.smugmug.com

Equipment: a whole bunch of black cylinders full of polished glass that cost way to much that I just had to have...