The Duchess

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited March 6, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
This isn't a particularly good photograph, but I'm putting it up here to see if anyone wants to guess what this machine does.
We stopped in a bakery and restaurant in Ocala FL yesterday, and the owner showed us what "The Duchess" does.
If people are interested, I'll explain it in a day or two.

802957422_MeCwz-XL.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    This isn't a particularly good photograph, but I'm putting it up here to see if anyone wants to guess what this machine does.
    We stopped in a bakery and restaurant in Ocala FL yesterday, and the owner showed us what "The Duchess" does.

802957422_MeCwz-XL.jpg

Looks like something gets pushed out of the bottom of it when that giant handle is pulled. Beyond that, I haven't a clue!!!
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Looks like something possibly to do with tiered wedding cakes?????

Looks pretty cool thumb.gif anyhow!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    Dough divider.......??? azzaro
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    Azzaro wrote:
    Dough divider.......??? azzaro
    +1.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I'm putting it up here to see if anyone wants to guess what this machine does.
    Cuts dough for buns or bread? ne_nau.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    It's a dough divider. :ivar

Sam
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    "The Duchess" is a device that cuts dough to the shape of Parker House rolls. The dough is put in a circular pan at the bottom (the darker area) and the lever is brought down to cut the dough. Hotels and restaurants used such a device. New, it cost over $5,000...a high price for a mechanical device.

The lady that owns the Ocala (FL) bakery/restaurant/art gallery demonstrated it for me. Her rolls, and the soup she served us, were superb. (The art on display was terrible, though) The taste was probably more due to the recipe than the cutting, but she gets top marks.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/