Options

GoDaddy $80 cancellation fee

tpodonnetpodonne Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited March 10, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I've got a few more days before I need to renew my URL and was wondering if anyone else has researched if other companies are charging cancellation fees of $80. I don't believe I came across this in the past and am wondering if I should jump ship - plus seems like they're using some other scare tactics to keep people @ goDaddy....any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I don't see how they can charge you a cancellation fee. You purchased a product. You don't have to use it since you paid up front and so I never though there was anything to cancel, (other than preventing it from renewing). As far as I know (I'm a GoDaddy customer) you can just transfer a domain, etc. to another provider and then just disable auto-renewal of the GoDaddy service.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    which product? I cancelled a number of things with godaddy (but kept a number of others going) and haven't been charged anything to *not* renew.
    //Leah
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    From Go Daddy:
    If You fail to renew Your domain name in the timeframes indicated in this Agreement, You agree that Go Daddy may, at its sole discretion, renew Your expired domain name on Your behalf. If Go Daddy decides to renew Your expired domain name on Your behalf, You will have a Renewal Grace Period during which You may reimburse Go Daddy for the renewal and keep Your domain name. The Renewal Grace Period is currently twelve (12) days but subject to change under the terms of Section 2 of this Agreement. For certain ccTLDs (.am, .at, .be, .ca, .cn, .com.cn, .net.cn, .org.cn, .de, .eu, .fm, .gs, .it, .jp, .ms, .nu, .nz, .co.nz, .net.nz, .org.nz, .tc, .tk, .tw, .com.tw, .org.tw, .idv.tw, .uk, .co.uk, .me.uk, .org.uk, and .vg) there is no Renewal Grace Period after the expiration date of the domain. If You do not reimburse Go Daddy for the renewal during the Renewal Grace Period Your domain name will be placed on Hold and flagged for deletion after which You will have a 30-day redemption period during which You may pay Go Daddy a Redemption fee and redeem Your domain name. The Redemption fee is currently $80 USD and is subject to change under the terms of Section 2 of this Agreement. If You do not redeem Your domain name prior to the end of the 30-day redemption period Go Daddy may, at its sole discretion, delete Your domain name or transfer it to another registrant on Your behalf.

Basically the gist is that if you do nothing and your domain expires, and then Go Daddy (at their discretion) maintains your domain active you will have to pay $80.00 in order to keep it before it is released to the public. It is not a cancellation fee.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Yeah, just to reiterate. If you let your domain expire and then you decide you want it back, godaddy may charge you $80 to get it back for you.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures