edited March 6, 2010 in Street and Documentary
803317061_ao36C-900x900.jpg
Brian
Have keyboard and opinion.

Senska Photography

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I really don't get this. While there are two people in the scene, they don't contribute to the image at all. The man at the right detracts somewhat.

The sleeping person has no apparent connection with the memorial and is not prominent enough in the image to be a subject of interest.

Sorry, but I just don't see this as a shot that captivates at all.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • masterofonemasterofone Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    Thanks for looking Tony. I have had little success in the street & PJ section. I was going for the ambiguity thing. Having been there, I know that the three people in the photo were "free", homeless, and all chose to live that day near a memorial that read "freedom is not free".
    Having conveyed none of that in this photo is probably why I have had few kudos in this area.
    Brian

Senska Photography
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    Thanks for looking Tony. I have had little success in the street & PJ section. I was going for the ambiguity thing. Having been there, I know that the three people in the photo were "free", homeless, and all chose to live that day near a memorial that read "freedom is not free".
    Having conveyed none of that in this photo is probably why I have had few kudos in this area.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

Three people? I see that now. I should have the counted feet of the sleeping person.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • PMCPMC Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    Hi masterof one. I think the thing here is that you've had to explain in words what your photo itself was supposed to express. You may know that the people in the photo were homeless, but how is the viewer supposed to also know that? Are there any visual clues to prompt me to connect the people to the words on the monument?

Keep trying, the kudos will come:D
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I'd try a tighter crop of this, get rid of some of the right and top. That might make the sleeping man more prominent in the scene. I'd also up your blacks a fair bit to add some drama.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited March 6, 2010
    I'd try a tighter crop of this, get rid of some of the right and top.

I had it cropped much tighter but thought the inclusion of the flags might add something. I'll take another look.
    Brian

Senska Photography
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I totally get it.
    The sleeping bums with the sign is perfect.
    The guy walking around, maybe could have waited till he got out of the scene.
    Yes the flags should either fully show or crop just bit more off the top to take them out completely.

You can't up your blacks or you will lose your two bums.....I believe.
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2010
    I have to say that when I first saw this I did actually get it, if only because having seen "Freedom is not free" I expected to see a counterpoint somewhere in the image and then saw the sleepers.

I think you do need to increase the contrast as the image is washed out. I think you only need a little and that you can do it without losing the sleepers.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
    edited March 6, 2010
    I have upped the blacks and dodged the sleepers as much as I think I can.
    Brian

Senska Photography