Can't decide which one to keep.. can you help?

polanripolanri Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited March 9, 2010 in Landscapes
Hi Folks,

I have done 3 similar shots and really can't decide which one I should keep in my gallery.. Please let me know which one you prefer and, if possible, why..

Btw, it's an HDR done with 3 exposures and tonemapping in Photomatix Pro

Photo 1
803585191_jC7pd-M.jpg

Photo 2
803586571_KvnZR-M.jpg

Photo 3
803588292_5yn33-M.jpg
⋆★ www.paul-henri.com ★⋆

Which photo do you prefer 15 votes

Photo 1
33%
kaldaraMalteNickoStephan Photostopcat374 5 votes
Photo 2
26%
RhuarcJwarThe_Fat_ZebraSimpsonBrothers 4 votes
Photo 3
40%
windozestirinthesauceDaddyOdave6253nickeverettNiepce 6 votes

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Photo 3
    No votes and all those looks. Interesting. headscratch.gif
    I hear it works out that ways... sometimes. :D Still doesn't make
    it any easier to get over though. At least for me.

I selected #3 of the variations shown.

The sun blowout merging with the clouds and then with the trees works
    more for the image than against it. Plus the sun itself seems to be further
    right in frame giving what I feel is greater balance to the overall composition.
    I like that the well is not in the shot and that there is less grass. Just enough
    grass hill (could use a bit more hill) to anchor the trees in frame and I feel its
    the trees and mistiness around thats the major focus of the shot.
    Not sure the HDR came off cleanly overall. Perhaps some lost value
    came out of that tweaking.
    :D For what its worth thats my 2 cents. More or less.

Its a neat shot worth spending some time on.
    Michael
  • polanripolanri Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Hi DaddyO
    DaddyO wrote:
    No votes and all those looks. Interesting. headscratch.gif
    I hear it works out that ways... sometimes. :D Still doesn't make
    it any easier to get over though. At least for me.

Yep, apparently we can't see the results until the poll is closed, I just hope everyone viewing the post has voted..
    DaddyO wrote:
    I selected #3 of the variations shown.

The sun blowout merging with the clouds and then with the trees works
    more for the image than against it. Plus the sun itself seems to be further
    right in frame giving what I feel is greater balance to the overall composition.
    I like that the well is not in the shot and that there is less grass. Just enough
    grass hill (could use a bit more hill) to anchor the trees in frame and I feel its
    the trees and mistiness around thats the major focus of the shot.
    Not sure the HDR came off cleanly overall. Perhaps some lost value
    came out of that tweaking.
    :D For what its worth thats my 2 cents. More or less.

Its a neat shot worth spending some time on.

Thanks for your constructive comments, it's good to have some feedback and not just a vote :)
    ⋆★ www.paul-henri.com ★⋆
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Photo 2
    I voted for number 2, because for me the presence of the well changes the whole picture. Somehow it becomes more than a pretty HDR landscape, and it brings more interest to the scene, a touch of 'someone was here' in what is a bit like a fairytale scene. But maybe im not making sense. Oh, and I like the additional little puffy cloud on the right of the sun in no. 2 as well.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Photo 3
    polanri wrote:
    Hi DaddyO

Yep, apparently we can't see the results until the poll is closed, I just hope everyone viewing the post has voted..

Totally missed that point. deal.gif . Likely there are many votes then. :D
    Michael
    edited March 9, 2010
    I voted for number 2, because for me the presence of the well changes the whole picture. Somehow it becomes more than a pretty HDR landscape, and it brings more interest to the scene, a touch of 'someone was here' in what is a bit like a fairytale scene. But maybe im not making sense. Oh, and I like the additional little puffy cloud on the right of the sun in no. 2 as well.

Damn I can't decide, I've been asking to people around me also, some prefer n°2 just like you because of the well and the fairy touch it adds to the scene, some others don't like it.. precisely because of the well that draws too much attention.. Hopefully the votes from the poll will clearly point a favorite :)

Anyway, thanks for your comments :D
    ⋆★ www.paul-henri.com ★⋆
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Photo 1
    #1 for me as I find the green on the tree left of centre in #2 distracting. Any chance of cloning the well into #1?! Missed that first time around and it does really add something to the scene...
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
    edited March 9, 2010
    topcat374 wrote:
    #1 for me as I find the green on the tree left of centre in #2 distracting. Any chance of cloning the well into #1?! Missed that first time around and it does really add something to the scene...

Hey cloning the well is a great idea, I could totally do that.. But isn't that a bit cheating? I've always been for making the best possible shot directly and avoiding computer modifications afterwards..
    ⋆★ www.paul-henri.com ★⋆
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Photo 1
    polanri wrote:
    Hey cloning the well is a great idea, I could totally do that.. But isn't that a bit cheating? I've always been for making the best possible shot directly and avoiding computer modifications afterwards..

IMO it depends who you're 'cheating'!! Totally agree if it's for a comp but if it's just for you - not sure there's much difference between cloning something in that was actually there and cropping something out that you wish wasn't!!! I'm sure others may disagree but if you can live with the knowledge...

It's not like you're creating a shot you're not capable of capturing - you've proved that with #2:D
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!