Canon S90 vs Leica D-Lux 4 vs Panasonic DMC-LX3

AldazarAldazar Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited March 9, 2010 in Cameras
I'll go ahead and admit upfront that I'm a big fan of Canon, always have been, even though I'll willingly admit that there are very competitive other brands out there as far as photography goes.

Anyway, I have a Canon 50D and a coupla lenses (nothing fancy - can't afford the good stuff yet), but I'm looking to pick up a point and shoot camera which I intend to carry around with me most of the time (as opposed to the 50D, which comes with me only when I have specific intention of shooting something).

From what I've read on the web (no first hand experience), the Canon S90 seems like it'd be an excellent choice and, given my bias toward Canon, I'm leaning heavily toward it. Before I pull the trigger though, I figured I'd solicit the opinions of the fine folk here at Dgrin.

As far as I'm aware, the Lecia D-Lux 4 is the pinnacle of point and shoots, and given the the $800 price tag, I'd expect nothing less. The Panasonic DMC-LX3 though, is pretty much the same camera without the Lecia branding though, right?

Anyway, I find it hard to believe it's worth paying twice as much (the S90 goes for about $400). If anyone has good reasons why the extra cost is justifiable though, I'd love to hear it.

The Panasonic, on the other hand, goes for roughly the same price as the Canon. Again, since I'm a Canon kinda guy, I'll probably end up going with the S90, but again, I'd love to hear your opinions on whether this is a good choice and why or why not.

Thanks!

Which point and shoot to buy? 15 votes

Canon S90
73% 11 votes
Panasonic DMC-LX3
26% 4 votes
Leica D-Lux 4
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Bottom of this s90 review compares it against the Panasonic.
    IIRC, the image processing program of the Leica may be different than the Panasonic but otherwise, I believe the Leica and Panasonic are identical under the body.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/s90.shtml
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Aldazar wrote:
    I'll go ahead and admit upfront that I'm a big fan of Canon, always have been, even though I'll willingly admit that there are very competitive other brands out there as far as photography goes.

Anyway, I have a Canon 50D and a coupla lenses (nothing fancy - can't afford the good stuff yet), but I'm looking to pick up a point and shoot camera which I intend to carry around with me most of the time (as opposed to the 50D, which comes with me only when I have specific intention of shooting something).

From what I've read on the web (no first hand experience), the Canon S90 seems like it'd be an excellent choice and, given my bias toward Canon, I'm leaning heavily toward it. Before I pull the trigger though, I figured I'd solicit the opinions of the fine folk here at Dgrin.

As far as I'm aware, the Lecia D-Lux 4 is the pinnacle of point and shoots, and given the the $800 price tag, I'd expect nothing less. The Panasonic DMC-LX3 though, is pretty much the same camera without the Lecia branding though, right?

Anyway, I find it hard to believe it's worth paying twice as much (the S90 goes for about $400). If anyone has good reasons why the extra cost is justifiable though, I'd love to hear it.

The Panasonic, on the other hand, goes for roughly the same price as the Canon. Again, since I'm a Canon kinda guy, I'll probably end up going with the S90, but again, I'd love to hear your opinions on whether this is a good choice and why or why not.

Thanks!

The Leica has different image processing settings, then the bulk of the cost increase is the badge on the front.
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    shameless plug.... I have a s90 for sale in the for sale forum. So I'd have to say, go with an s90.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    the LX3 has teh best iso in class. If you going to pay $800..I would go with the GF1 with pancake lens. It is the only non slr with very close to slr shutter lags.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    the LX3 has teh best iso in class.
    Based on what? Everything I read says the s90, LX3 and D-Lux4 are near identical in noise but the s90 edges them both out if you have to pick one. Pixel density is the same on all three P/S cameras too which is most likely why the noise is so similar.

The GF1 is great. And that 20mm is an outstanding lens. It's actually on my list of what to buy next.... The 20mm that it comes with is a $400 lens. Also look at the Oly E-PL1... its amazing for straight JPG.

BTW: I've sold my s90 so there is no bias as far as me trying to sell you an s90.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 9, 2010
    I would rather we don't get caught up in the distinction of "class".

As an aid to the original poster I have linked to a couple of Canon S90 vs Panasonic LX3 noise comparisons, so that they may make up their own mind regarding high-ISO noise:

http://www.hitokiri.com/blog/archives/2009/10/panasonic_lx3_v.php

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/special/20091016_322213.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    hmm..perhaps my info is now outdated. The LX3 USED to be the best in class iso. Looks like the s90 is very nice as well. It appears the LX3 is not as heavy handed with the NR. It's certainly noisier but sharper at higher iso in the link that ziggy provided.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com