tokina 11-16mm

Foxy xoFoxy xo Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited March 8, 2010 in Cameras
Hi!

I'm back again with some noob questions for you techies to answer.

So first off, my 85mm 1.8 Canon is wonderful, although in terms of usability I wish I hadn't gotten a prime, and I love the bokeh on it.

Now my question, I've managed to snatch some small jobs to take some shots for some bands at a venue which will give me access to the stage, I've been looking at wide angle lenses, and I found the Tokina to have some nice reviews.

How do you guys fair this lens to be?
Recommendations?

By the way, I shoot with a Canon 50D if that's of any importance, because I heard some lenses such as the tamaron(?) only work with MF on some cameras.

Thanks in advance.

:D

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 7, 2010
    The Tokina 11-16mm, f2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX is a very nice super-wide zoom lens.

Most folks would use the lens for vista landscapes, house interiors, building exteriors and architectural images, and "establish" shots of events.

What I mean by an "establish" shot is simply a view so wide that it gives the viewer a sense of magnitude and a feel for how a subject fits in its environment. I use a similar lens for wedding photography to show the entire sanctuary in a single glance.

Except for the vista landscapes, I suggest that the lens should be used somewhat sparingly. For people and event photography the view is so wide that detail and intimacy tend to get lost. For people photography in general it can show relationships and groups, but individuals are not well represented. If you get close enough to people to isolate and promote them, people features closest to the camera tend to look exaggerated or distorted (similar to, but not as distorted as, a "fisheye" lens which tends toward extreme distortions.)

If you shoot a band from the stage it would show the relationships between the members, but a viewer would probably soon tire of a sequence because it would show too much of the same thing (unless you can move freely on the stage itself.)

A better use might be for shooting the audience to show scale and magnitude.

Added to other lenses a super-wide allows a greatly different perspective of the venue, but I doubt that it would be a dominant lens compared to others. By all means I would suggest having a super-wide in your collection, but don't forget about shooting more intimate single subject images because I suspect those will ultimately be more memorable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    The tokina 11-16 is the sharpest ultrawide zoom for cropped sensor bodies right now. I'd recommend it unless you really really dislike flares, which this lens tends to produce more of.

I'm not aware of any current third party lenses not focusing with Canon's. Nikon's D40/60/D3000 bodies don't auto focus with some lenses, they can be Nikon or third parties. But you have a Canon 50D, so this isn't an issue.