Canon Rebel XS vs. Canon Rebel XSi

helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited March 8, 2010 in Cameras
Hi everyone.

So I am saving up for a camera (if I don't get it as a gift first), and I was looking at the Canon Rebel XSi. I love the fact that I can have different lenses for it (sad, I know. But I've never owned a camera that you can have different lenses for). But then I saw the Canon Rebel XS. It's like $200 cheaper than the XSi too.

So my question to you. Would I be better off saving up the extra $200 and getting the XSi, or does the XS do almost the same thing. Would someone be able to provide possible pros and cons of getting both?

Thanks for any input. :)
-Brandon

Flickr
My Gear

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 7, 2010
    For a comparison of specifications I suggest looking at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos450d,canon_eos1000d&show=all

In short, the XSi has a little faster continuous shooting speed, a little more advanced AF section, a larger LCD display and a deeper shot buffer.

Since this is your first dSLR I doubt if it will make much of a difference unless you have specific needs for the additional features.

How will you use the camera?
    What advantages do you desire from a dSLR?

Be as specific as possible.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    For a comparison of specifications I suggest looking at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos450d,canon_eos1000d&show=all

In short, the XSi has a little faster continuous shooting speed, a little more advanced AF section, a larger LCD display and a deeper shot buffer.

Since this is your first dSLR I doubt if it will make much of a difference unless you have specific needs for the additional features.

How will you use the camera?
    What advantages do you desire from a dSLR?

Be as specific as possible.

Okay, well that link is just brilliant. Thanks for it.

Currently, I use a Fujifilm S1000fd. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice camera, but I am starting to get sick of it.

I love taking macro photos, but my current camera doesn't. It never seems to want to focus properly. So I guess what I am getting at here is the fact that manual focus would be excellent. From what I can see, both cameras seem to have that.

I'm not sure if you have ever heard of Gavin Hoey? He has a Youtube channel and he posts videos of photography and photoshop tips. One of the tips was of taking pictures of water droplets. However, it included using external flashes, which my current camera does not allow. Both the XS and XSi look to have that ability.

So, from what I have read on that comparison, it looks like the XS and XSi are almost the same thing. I think I may just end up going with the XS.

So again, thank you so much for posting that chart. It is greatly appreciated!
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 7, 2010
    For macro photography and for stroboscopic photography you will probably need some specialized equipment for best results.

For macro photography you will probably want a dedicated macro lenses, possibly a 1:1 capable lens. This should not be confused with many zoom lenses which have the term "Macro" in their description line or name. A "true" macro lens allows much greater magnification (generally) and much better image quality too.

An external flash and possibly a flash bracket and off-camera cord may also be indicated for macro photography, as well as flash diffusion.

There are creative solutions for many of these items so it doesn't have to be horribly expensive but quality macro image capabilities are not included with the most basic and built-in capabilities of camera and kit lens either.

For stroboscopic photography you will need the external flash (which you know about) and maybe a trigger mechanism.

You should be able to use either camera body for what you want to do.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    From personal experience, I can vouch for what Ziggy said: either is fine for macro. I used an XTi for macro for a year, and that is a less capable camera than either that you are considering. I also agree that a dedicated macro lens is the way to go. The photo below was taken with an XTi and the Canon EF-S 60mm macro, Canon's cheapest true (1:1 magnification) macro lens:

498633502_RJ8cq-XL.jpg
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    If you can afford the XSI get the XSI. The image quality on both is quite equivalent so I would go for the one with more features. I have the XS and it is awesome, that means that the XSI is equally of even more awesome. More AF points, faster FPS a few extra features. XSI is great;
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    If money is a factor, I'd say save the money by buying the XS and then put the savings toward a macro lens as that seems to be your area of interest.