Options

Buy menu - Cards - Confused!

DesertAuraDesertAura Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited October 18, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
How can I remove the Create a Card option from the Buy menu that the visitor sees?

I've read a couple of different threads on this topic here and they have all indicated that the Create a Card option is available and visible only to the user/account holder/seller, not to the visitor. However, when I view as a visitor, or even when I am not logged in, Create a Card is still visible and functional on the Buy menu.

I don't want it there. At least not right now. How can I disable it?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    DesertAura wrote:
    How can I remove the Create a Card option from the Buy menu that the visitor sees?

I've read a couple of different threads on this topic here and they have all indicated that the Create a Card option is available and visible only to the user/account holder/seller, not to the visitor. However, when I view as a visitor, or even when I am not logged in, Create a Card is still visible and functional on the Buy menu.

I don't want it there. At least not right now. How can I disable it?

Thank you.

You must have cards priced in your pro pricing if they are showing for your visitors. Change the pricing for the gallery so that cards aren't priced, and the option to create them will not be available to customers.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

ann
  • Options
    DesertAuraDesertAura Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    That was the solution. Thank you, Ann!
  • Options
    jachangjachang Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Ann McRae wrote:
    You must have cards priced in your pro pricing if they are showing for your visitors. Change the pricing for the gallery so that cards aren't priced, and the option to create them will not be available to customers.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

ann
    I do want to sell them in my gallery at the prices that I set. But the option under "buy" puts the price at the default, not my set prices. How do I get it to actually put MY prices that are in the gallery and not the default prices?

Thanks,

Jean
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    jachang wrote:
    I do want to sell them in my gallery at the prices that I set. But the option under "buy" puts the price at the default, not my set prices. How do I get it to actually put MY prices that are in the gallery and not the default prices?

Thanks,

Jean
    Jean - were you logged in? naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Jean - were you logged in? naughty.gif

Hi Andy,

Yes, I tried both as a visitor and logged in. In fact, it was so frustrating that I used the "contact a real person" support. Here is what was happening last night, as well as what has changed this morning. I think there may be gremlins in the system! This is my response to the support e-mail I got telling me that my site was working fine at your end:

PROBLEM #1: Okay, did SmugMug have maintenance on the system during the night? I just checked in this morning, and things have changed a little:

Last night I did exactly what you said--went to visitor view, and clicked "BUY". I was presented with 3 choices: "this photo," "photos in this gallery," and "create a card". If I clicked on "this photo", my own set prices came up. If I clicked on "create a card", the SmugMug prices came up, not mine. However, if I clicked on "buy" > "this photo", then scrolled down through all the prints, there was an option for 4 x 8 and 5 x 7 cards (no text, just cards). In that area, my correct prices showed. The difference was in whether I clicked buy "this photo" or "create a card".

Now this morning, I just checked, and if I click "buy" > "this photo", there are no options to buy cards at all! Where did they go? I tried both owner and visitor view, logged out, logged back in, and the cards are not included under either prints or merchandise. Yet, if I click in visitor view, "buy" "creat a card" NOW my correct set prices are there, but there is no more option to buy blank cards under the regular buy "this photo" option.

What's going on?

PROBLEM #2: There was something else wacky going on last night. I wanted to hide my keywords, so the site would look nicer, so I put the code into the CSS, then went to gallery settings, and changed appearance to "custom". It took the keywords away from that gallery. Then I clicked on "all galleries" and clicked "custom", and it took keywords away on some galleries, but not on others. I eventually gave up and had to go into all the ones that it missed and set them individually.

(I wasn't drinking too much wine--honest. I'm actually quite good with computers.) headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Hi Jen

Are you using Bay Photo as your printer? Cards are printed by EZPrints, and on that price list.

ann
    jachang wrote:
    Hi Andy,

Yes, I tried both as a visitor and logged in. In fact, it was so frustrating that I used the "contact a real person" support. Here is what was happening last night, as well as what has changed this morning. I think there may be gremlins in the system! This is my response to the support e-mail I got telling me that my site was working fine at your end:

PROBLEM #1: Okay, did SmugMug have maintenance on the system during the night? I just checked in this morning, and things have changed a little:

Last night I did exactly what you said--went to visitor view, and clicked "BUY". I was presented with 3 choices: "this photo," "photos in this gallery," and "create a card". If I clicked on "this photo", my own set prices came up. If I clicked on "create a card", the SmugMug prices came up, not mine. However, if I clicked on "buy" > "this photo", then scrolled down through all the prints, there was an option for 4 x 8 and 5 x 7 cards (no text, just cards). In that area, my correct prices showed. The difference was in whether I clicked buy "this photo" or "create a card".

Now this morning, I just checked, and if I click "buy" > "this photo", there are no options to buy cards at all! Where did they go? I tried both owner and visitor view, logged out, logged back in, and the cards are not included under either prints or merchandise. Yet, if I click in visitor view, "buy" "creat a card" NOW my correct set prices are there, but there is no more option to buy blank cards under the regular buy "this photo" option.

What's going on?

PROBLEM #2: There was something else wacky going on last night. I wanted to hide my keywords, so the site would look nicer, so I put the code into the CSS, then went to gallery settings, and changed appearance to "custom". It took the keywords away from that gallery. Then I clicked on "all galleries" and clicked "custom", and it took keywords away on some galleries, but not on others. I eventually gave up and had to go into all the ones that it missed and set them individually.

(I wasn't drinking too much wine--honest. I'm actually quite good with computers.) headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Jen

Are you using Bay Photo as your printer? Cards are printed by EZPrints, and on that price list.

ann
    Hi Ann,

No, I have EZ prints set for all of my galleries. That's another whole issue I'm having trouble with. I tried to set one gallery to Bay Photo, but kept getting an error message, and it would default back to EZ Prints.

Thanks,

Jean
  • Options
    jalovelljalovell Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 13, 2011
    I am new to D Grin and this is a question related to this thread I think rather than a reply. My problem is that I have one gallery set for 5 x 7 cards only with the files designed to EZ Prints parameters for printing a card. While I do not mind having the 'create a card' on the Buy drop down available elsewhere, I do not want to confuse things by having it appear in my cards only gallery where I only have 5 x7 laid out cards as an available product. I put instructions in the description area but I'd rather not have to do that. I found other places on DGrin with instructions for the CSS box but none of them seems to work; plus none of them shows how to do it specific to one gallery. I tried this:.gallery_19442671 .click_here_to_buy_create_a_card_menuitem {display: none;} as well as other permutations of the gallery ID and the .purchase_prints_....method I saw...but no response to these instructions.

Forgive me if this is the wrong spot for this query.

PS: even though it says June 2006...my first post...mostly I lurk and read

Also;;its really 12:14PM not 8:10PM...have to crash..so if I dont find my way back here I'd welcome and link back here or answers in my e mail of janthina50@hotmail.com
    site url is : janthinaimages.com in case you can't tell by the post ID
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    jalovell wrote: »
    I am new to D Grin and this is a question related to this thread I think rather than a reply. My problem is that I have one gallery set for 5 x 7 cards only with the files designed to EZ Prints parameters for printing a card. While I do not mind having the 'create a card' on the Buy drop down available elsewhere, I do not want to confuse things by having it appear in my cards only gallery where I only have 5 x7 laid out cards as an available product. I put instructions in the description area but I'd rather not have to do that. I found other places on DGrin with instructions for the CSS box but none of them seems to work; plus none of them shows how to do it specific to one gallery. I tried this:.gallery_19442671 .click_here_to_buy_create_a_card_menuitem {display: none;} as well as other permutations of the gallery ID and the .purchase_prints_....method I saw...but no response to these instructions.

Forgive me if this is the wrong spot for this query.

PS: even though it says June 2006...my first post...mostly I lurk and read

Also;;its really 12:14PM not 8:10PM...have to crash..so if I dont find my way back here I'd welcome and link back here or answers in my e mail of janthina50@hotmail.com
    site url is : janthinaimages.com in case you can't tell by the post ID
    Try this in CSS

.gallery_19442671 #yui-gen8 {display:none !important;}
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    shutterstephshuttersteph Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2011
    So, can customers now design and buy their own Christmas cards? I've been looking for this answer for a little while and can't find it.
    Stephanie Moon
    Canon equipment
    My website
    equine.pet.people
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2011
    Hi Stephanie,

Yes, we added the ability for visitors to create cards back in 2009:
    http://news.smugmug.com/2009/12/11/card-keyword-upgrades-direct-deposit/
    As a Pro, you just set your prices for the cards in the 'set prices' tool > cards tab and then visitors can use the buy button > create a card option.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I can't believe I didn't know this till know. But the gallery has to be easyprints? No Bay Photo cards? Any chance you'll start offering more Bay products? Specifically, I'd love to see a smaller 4 by 5 folded card, instead of only the huge and pricey 5 by 7's.

ETA: I have sold cards before, but thought I had to design them for the client. Much better if they can do it themselves.
  • Options
    shutterstephshuttersteph Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    thanks for the clarification Sebastian!
    Stephanie Moon
    Canon equipment
    My website
    equine.pet.people
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    smurfy wrote: »
    I can't believe I didn't know this till know. But the gallery has to be easyprints? No Bay Photo cards? Any chance you'll start offering more Bay products? Specifically, I'd love to see a smaller 4 by 5 folded card, instead of only the huge and pricey 5 by 7's.

ETA: I have sold cards before, but thought I had to design them for the client. Much better if they can do it themselves.
    The gallery can be set to BayPhoto as well. Cards have their own separate tab and if priced in the set prices tool, the card tab will show for visitors.
    Note that cards are still printed and shipped via our EZprints lab and therefore shipping cost would be higher both cards and BayPhoto items are ordered.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero