press conference

lifeLikelifeLike Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited March 8, 2010 in Street and Documentary
This is my first image that I'm posting. It's a little intimidating in that I take photos with what most people would consider inferior equipment. I use phones and cheap cameras exclusively at the moment. I also blow out contrast and saturation as a rule. This shot was taken at a press conference right after I left the microphone. I had tried to get shots looking right back at the cameras but the sun was directly behind the reporters and I haven't been really happy with anything I've done with those. Also the reporters stopped "reporting" as soon as I pointed my camera (iphone actually) at them which made the images less engaging. This was shot at the NovaCare Center in South Philadelphia last September.

press conference.jpg
~lifelike.smugmug.com

not life but lifelike

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    lifeLike wrote:
    This is my first image that I'm posting. It's a little intimidating in that I take photos with what most people would consider inferior equipment. I use phones and cheap cameras exclusively at the moment. I also blow out contrast and saturation as a rule.

Had you not mentioned it, I would not have known what type of camera you used. It ain't the camera; it's the results. I think you did well.

Your post-processing worked as well.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 8, 2010
    Welcome to Dgrin, lifeLike wave.gif. It has become a cliché that it's the photographer, not the camera, that makes the pic, but it is true nevertheless. I like this shot. It conveys the claustrophobia of being surrounded by the media. I don't think it would have necessarily been better had you been shooting with top of the line gear. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. thumb.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    lifeLike wrote:
    This is my first image that I'm posting. It's a little intimidating in that I take photos with what most people would consider inferior equipment. I use phones and cheap cameras exclusively at the moment. I also blow out contrast and saturation as a rule. This shot was taken at a press conference right after I left the microphone. I had tried to get shots looking right back at the cameras but the sun was directly behind the reporters and I haven't been really happy with anything I've done with those. Also the reporters stopped "reporting" as soon as I pointed my camera (iphone actually) at them which made the images less engaging. This was shot at the NovaCare Center in South Philadelphia last September.

press conference.jpg
    Not only does this image work, but it's interesting to note that it would not have worked nearly as well had it been shot with a 5D MK XVXX. What really makes it is the distortion, and the isolation of the central photographer.

But enough of this photo chatter, what did you do that you garnered all this attention?!rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • lifeLikelifeLike Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Thanks all, I'm happy I was able to get the shot. Point and shoot can also be called point and miss often enough.

bdcolen: I (thankfully) had done nothing wrong to be there mwink.gif but was being asked to comment on the Eagles' signing of Michael Vick after a meeting at their headquarters.
    ~lifelike.smugmug.com

not life but lifelike
    edited March 8, 2010
    lifeLike wrote:
    Thanks all, I'm happy I was able to get the shot. Point and shoot can also be called point and miss often enough.

bdcolen: I (thankfully) had done nothing wrong to be there mwink.gif but was being asked to comment on the Eagles' signing of Michael Vick after a meeting at their headquarters.

Well, no one asked me to comment on his signing. So what do you do when you are not pushing the shutter releaserolleyes1.gif ?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Well, no one asked me to comment on his signing. So what do you do when you are not pushing the shutter releaserolleyes1.gif ?
    The only reason they'd ask you is if B.D. stands for 'Big Dog' eh? :D
    Travis
    edited March 8, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    The only reason they'd ask you is if B.D. stands for 'Big Dog' eh? :D

How did you guess?! It does!! (not)clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited March 8, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:

No one asked?

Well I work at a large animal welfare & animal protection organization as an executive. That made me a prime target for the press at that time. I have never been more popular and likely (hopefully) never will be that popular again, lol. I try to make a point of taking photos any time there are people taking photos of me :D

Taking pictures and messing with the results on my laptop is one of the things I do as a hobby to stay sane working in an emotionally difficult field. Years ago in college (YEARSSSSS AGO) I used to take a lot of black and white brooding photographs which is silly because I had very little stress in life to be so despondent about the world. Now I think of my images like they are cartoons of life rather than representations of life. If that makes any sense.

Keeps my head happy.
    ~lifelike.smugmug.com

not life but lifelike
    edited March 8, 2010
    Ok so I attached that other photo as yet another example of me taking photos back at the reporters but then I changed my mind about posting it ... yet apparently I didn't remove it! Yep, I'm a dork.

So the story is that this was a bill signing in Harrisburg with the governor. Totally different vibe from the other photo. Very laid back and everything was for "show" rather than for "news". Well scripted and prepared. This one was also taken on the phone.
    ~lifelike.smugmug.com

not life but lifelike