A little advice about Nikon Prime lenses please

tensai-riottensai-riot Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited May 22, 2010 in Cameras
I am looking at buying a prime lens for my Nikon D300s the first time and was wondering if I could get some advice from the many talented photographers on here.

I would mainly be using it to shoot live bands in small venues here in Japan, or for portrait shooting, etc. One thing I wanted to know is what dose everyone prefer, a 35mm or 50mm? And if you were shooting a live event which do you think would be more useful. I am tilting towards to 50mm now, but any suggestions would be great.

And if you know of specific, "this is the lens you MUST buy" lenses, I am all ears. Oh ya, would prefer auto focus over manual.

Thanks for the help!!!
Stop by if you can tensai-riot photography
Or find me on facebook

Comments

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2010
    *definitely* the 50mm. a must-have (as 1.8 or 1.4) in any Nikon bag

:)
    //Leah
  • tensai-riottensai-riot Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    catspaw wrote:
    *definitely* the 50mm. a must-have (as 1.8 or 1.4) in any Nikon bag

:)

Thanks catspaw, much appreciated rolleyes1.gif
    I have heard of a 1.2 with the 50mm, have you seen anything about this?
    Or find me on facebook
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    I am looking at buying a prime lens for my Nikon D300s the first time and was wondering if I could get some advice from the many talented photographers on here.

I would mainly be using it to shoot live bands in small venues here in Japan, or for portrait shooting, etc. One thing I wanted to know is what dose everyone prefer, a 35mm or 50mm? And if you were shooting a live event which do you think would be more useful. I am tilting towards to 50mm now, but any suggestions would be great.

And if you know of specific, "this is the lens you MUST buy" lenses, I am all ears. Oh ya, would prefer auto focus over manual.

Thanks for the help!!!

For events shooting especially concerts a prime is just to limiting......but I have shot zooms since the 1970's snd owned a few primes that never saw the light of day after my introiduction into the world of great zooms............for event and concerts a sigma 17-70 f2.8-4, or a Sigma or 24-70f2.8 or a 28-70f2.8 nikon would be great.................I do find the 28 much too long and the 24 a tad too long for the wide end of a crop body...........I could work with the 24 much easier than the 28 anytime tho......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 8, 2010
    Thanks for the advice, but I actually already have the Nikon 18-200 zoom lens (not the biggest aperture but the zoom range is great) as well as the Nikon 10-24 wide angle. With these I get pretty much every shot I would want/need, but I was looking at the 50mm because it would be so much faster/brighter and give a bit of a different effect with the bokeh you get from the 1.4.

You have good results with your Sigma lenses though?
    Or find me on facebook
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Thanks for the advice, but I actually already have the Nikon 18-200 zoom lens (not the biggest aperture but the zoom range is great) as well as the Nikon 10-24 wide angle. With these I get pretty much every shot I would want/need, but I was looking at the 50mm because it would be so much faster/brighter and give a bit of a different effect with the bokeh you get from the 1.4.

You have good results with your Sigma lenses though?
    Your 18-200 won't be fast enough to shoot indoors unless you can shoot close enough with flash.
    edited March 8, 2010
    Hey Gadget Rick, thanks for the advice. I have had pretty good results with it indoors so far, without a flash, but ya, I think if I can afford to get a faster zoom lens I really should. Any recommendations with a Nikon?
    Or find me on facebook
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Nikkor 50mm, f1.4 would be a great addition to your bag. The Nikkor 50mm, f1.2 you mention does exist but is a manual focus lens. I enjoy playing with the f1.2, but I can't recommend it for concert shooting. With my old eyes, I'd never be able to manually focus wide open in dim lighting!

YMMV.
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    This is a show I shot using only the 50mm f1.8 if you want to see some actual pics. These are straight out of camera, no pp.

Here

The 50mm f1.4 will of course be slightly faster, but I thought a picture would speak 1000 words.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    50mm and 85mm 1.4. Forget the 35mm.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited March 8, 2010
    That settles it then, I am going to pick up the 50mm at the end of the month.

Thanks for all the help everyone. And Photometric, thanks for showing me the pictures. That is the same kind of venue I was thinking I would want to use it in so that was a great help.

Thanks again everyone! You will probably hear from me again sometime with more questionsheadscratch.gif
    Or find me on facebook
  • DerekMartinezPhotographyDerekMartinezPhotography Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 11, 2010
    Chime in and let us know how you like it

derekmartinezphotography.com
    That settles it then, I am going to pick up the 50mm at the end of the month.

Thanks for all the help everyone. And Photometric, thanks for showing me the pictures. That is the same kind of venue I was thinking I would want to use it in so that was a great help.

Thanks again everyone! You will probably hear from me again sometime with more questionsheadscratch.gif
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    If you're shooting concerts go with the 70-200. It's as sharp as a prime, as is the 24-70. Both are incredible lenses but much more expensive than a 50mm obviously.

If you want a sample of the 50mm f1.4 well here is my cat :0

608146108_Vbwtd-L.jpg
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    taken with 50 mm 1.8 in a dark room at ISO 3200

718606554_i56At-M.jpg
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited March 15, 2010
    Hey guys, thanks for the sample images, they look great. I especially like your cat photo rookieshooter. I love shooting cats I find in the street and I think the 50mm will make these look great and easier to take, at night especially. And ya, DerekMartinezPhotography, I will post a few when I get it. Can't waitclap.gif
    Or find me on facebook
    edited March 16, 2010
    Can't make up my mind
    So...dose any one here know any real difference between these two lenses?

AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D

and

AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

I have been examining them and not sure what the real difference is except $100. If you had a D300s and could afford either, which would you buy?

Thanks a tonethumb.gif
    Or find me on facebook
  • EnitsuguaEnitsugua Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    So...dose any one here know any real difference between these two lenses?

AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D

and

AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

I have been examining them and not sure what the real difference is except $100. If you had a D300s and could afford either, which would you buy?

Thanks a tonethumb.gif

AF-S has a little nicer bokeh (most noticeable on NOT round brighter objects). Hard to describe without simply putting each on your camera in turn and looking through to see. Bokeh is smoother, "creamier", a little more pleasing to the eye on the S. But not much.

S also is a very accurate focusing lens (but the D is no slouch either). The S, oddly, does not focus faster (AF-S usually means that).

The S is also a G (no aperture ring), but that won't matter with your camera. On the D, you simply lock the ring and use the camera's adjustment.

The S has more barrel distortion that the D (which you will only see on pictures of things like buildings and other rectangular objects--not on people).

Other differences are physical and mechanical and could matter, depending on what you shoot and under what circumstances.

The S is bigger.

The S will accept a bayonet style lens hood. The D will not.

The S is internal focus, meaning the lens doesn't physically change lengths externally to focus. That means bumping (hard) the end of the lens is not likely to mess up the focus. On the D, that same bump could misalign the mechanical parts that move to different lengths for focus, rendering the lens either unable to focus or unable to focus accurately. Some consider that a "professional feature", whatever that is.

And, finally, you can grab the focus ring on the S and hold onto it--spinning it to manually focus if you want to. To switch from auto to manual focus on the D (no M/A switch on lens), you have to change to manual focus on the camera. Grabbing and spinning the focus ring (or just holding on to it too tightly) on the D while the lens is mounted and working could cause damage to the focus motor in the lens. Not likely, but possible.

So, go look at and through them and then decide if you want to spend the extra $100 or not.
    edited March 16, 2010
    I have had pretty good results with it indoors so far, without a flash, but ya, I think if I can afford to get a faster zoom lens I really should. Any recommendations with a Nikon?

If you're going to buy zooms, save and buy the good ones. AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED if you want to go with zoom and not with the 50.
    edited March 16, 2010
    Enitsugua: Thanks a TON, that is exactly the information I was hopping to get. Lots to think about, but I think I am going to drop the extra 100 and pick up the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G. But I am going to borrow the other one from a friend tonight for a show on Thursday, so if I fall in love with it...

Anyways, thanks again, and you are right, I should save up and get a nice fast zoom lens, that's now on the long...long...list of things I want.

Cheers!!
    Or find me on facebook
    edited May 16, 2010
    Picked it up!
    So I got the 50mm last week and went around Kyoto with it for a hour or two while I was waiting for my wife to meet me down town, and a shot in the bar after. Just thought I would post a couple shots in here so other people can see what the lens dose.

All shots taken at 1.4, just so you know.

Cheers!

867538973_rn2NE-L.jpg

867539437_Th9EN-L.jpg

867539690_5ZU6F-L.jpg

867540928_m5NWV-L.jpg

867540411_LSBWL-L.jpg
    Or find me on facebook
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 17, 2010
    Congratulations on the new, very fast, lens. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 19, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the new, very fast, lens. clap.gif

Thanks a ton. Really liking it so far!
    Or find me on facebook
  • TopCatTopCat Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Thanks a ton. Really liking it so far!

How about some shots made using it???
    Tom
    Nikon D300 with 16-85 f3.5-5.6 VR, 35 f/1.8, 70-300 VR; Nikon D800 with 24-70 f/2.8, 105 f/2.8 VR Micro, 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Dell XPS 17 (8 GB RAM), LR5.3, Photoshop CC
    My Portfolio
    My PhotoBlog
    edited May 20, 2010
    TopCat wrote: »
    How about some shots made using it???

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1388764&postcount=20
  • LabRatLabRat Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2010
    Thanks catspaw, much appreciated rolleyes1.gif
    I have heard of a 1.2 with the 50mm, have you seen anything about this?

I started with the 50 mm 1.8D It is an awesomelense for the price. When the new 35mm 1.8 was released, I bought that as well, i bought it for twice the money... it gives half the picture in my opinion.

You will not be sorry if you buy the 50 mm 1.8

J.D.
    edited May 22, 2010
    edited May 22, 2010
    LabRat wrote: »
    I started with the 50 mm 1.8D It is an awesomelense for the price. When the new 35mm 1.8 was released, I bought that as well, i bought it for twice the money... it gives half the picture in my opinion.

You will not be sorry if you buy the 50 mm 1.8

J.D.

For sure, loving it so far to say the least clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Or find me on facebook