For the classic car enthusiasts

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited March 8, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Not all of the classic cars are in classic condition.

805398347_ZcsZx-XL.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 8, 2010
    Good shot, Tony, but there's something amiss with the processing. The top looks overexposed but not the bottom. I'd raise the black point on the upper part of the frame.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Good shot, Tony, but there's something amiss with the processing. The top looks overexposed but not the bottom. I'd raise the black point on the upper part of the frame.

The processing was global, but the side of the street where I was standing, and the car was parked, was deep in shadow. The opposite side was flooded with sunlight. You can see the shadow line to the right of the man's butt. I had to over-process the lower portion to even be able to see the engine.

It's kind of a throw-away shot taken for the benefit of Black Mamba and the other posters in this forum who provide us with these wonderful brochure-worthy shots of classic automobiles. It really wouldn't be a keeper for me if not for this. If it was, I'd do a layer mask over a better treatment of the opposite side of the street and paint out the lower area.

Unfortunately, I did get a better exposure in a second shot that I couldn't use here. The lady was bending further over and there was too much exposure of her.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    The processing was global, but the side of the street where I was standing, and the car was parked, was deep in shadow. The opposite side was flooded with sunlight. You can see the shadow line to the right of the man's butt. I had to over-process the lower portion to even be able to see the engine.

It's kind of a throw-away shot taken for the benefit of Black Mamba and the other posters in this forum who provide us with these wonderful brochure-worthy shots of classic automobiles. It really wouldn't be a keeper for me if not for this. If it was, I'd do a layer mask over a better treatment of the opposite side of the street and paint out the lower area.

Unfortunately, I did get a better exposure in a second shot that I couldn't use here. The lady was bending further over and there was too much exposure of her.

Which is not to say that you're not correct in your observation, Richard. It is poorly processed.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Hey Tony,

Laughing.gif...I wish I had a dollar for every hour I've spent bent over a fender, working on some hot rod I might have had at the time. I never had the budget or squad of mechanics some of these guys have.

The disparity in the lighting you had to deal with here is representative of what most often plagues me when shooting in open conditions. It's a constant problem....you just make the best of it that you can.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.