Tough shot at Disney World... and tech issues.

SittingElfSittingElf Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited March 9, 2010 in People
I am having a hell of a time with this shot.... See info below the picture.

My son's first meeting with Pluto!
805442629_zb2qd-L.jpg
(Click photo for full size on SmugMug)

Problems and issues with this shot:

1. This was the first outing day I had with my new 5D MkII. Went to Walt Disney World with my wife and two year old son and shot a lot of pictures... almost exclusively outside. Like an idiot, I was so used to shooting with my 50D, that I didn't bring my 580EXII, having forgotten that the 5D has no pop up! So I ended up shooting this picture handheld, with no flash, @ 1/50th, ISO 640 (at the time still scared of higher ISO), f/4, with my 24-105 @ 67mm. No time for posing because the Disney people were trying to move the line along as fast as possible, all the while having to shoulder my way into position against one of the countless Disney Photographers who are found everywhere in Disney World. The lighting was mixed and not very flattering as you can see.

2. The shot was one of four with Pluto, and my son's expression in this one is priceless. Unfortunately, I have been trying to post-process this picture and clean it up in Aperture 3 and having a hell of a difficult time. There is so much color saturation in the entire scene that every adjustment I make in one area negatively affects another. The best I could do was to try and clean up the skin tones and pseudo white balance the shot. Additionally, I am viewing on my new Dell u2410 monitor hooked up to my Mac Pro...and have had to set the brightness at 20% or get blown away! It is also extraordinarily difficult to work with this image while viewing because just when it looks right, the cones in my eyes become totally saturated, and if I walk away from the monitor and then come back, it looks entirely different to my eyes!

Don't know what more I can do to improve this shot, colorwise or cropping, but I'd certainly be open to suggestions! I want this as a family "keeper".
My Equipment:
Bodies: Canon- 5D Mark II, 7D, 50D, SD780IS, Sony DSC F828, DSC F717,
Lenses: Canon EF16-35/f2.8L, EF24-105/f4L, EF100-400L, EF 50mm/1.8 II, EF100/2,8L, EF85/1.8 USM, MP-E65/2.8 1-5X, 15mm Fisheye, 70-200/f2.8L II
Lighting: Canon 580EXII, 430EXII, MT-24EX, MR-14EX, Sony Hi Power, YinYan BY-180B Studio Strobes (3), Coco Ring Flash Adapter.
Stability
:Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, 322RC2, 498RC2, 454 Macro Slider, 175F-1 Clamps
Video: Canon XHA1, HV-20 (2), HV-30

Comments

• TayTay Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Don't have much in the way of advice, except to let you know that's Pluto, not Goofy! :D
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    I pulled it in...will work on it...be right back.. BTW...with the MII....forget about fearing noise. I shoot my Mark I all day long at higher ISO's and it's not an issue.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    I'm not a really experienced photoshop user, so I took this opportunity to improve my skills mwink.gif
    You can add an adjustment layer to the image and use a mask to adjust only the parts you need. In this case I adjusted the exposure of the background. I'm not really pleased with it yet, but it gives you an idea of what can be done.
  • SittingElfSittingElf Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Tay wrote:
    Don't have much in the way of advice, except to let you know that's Pluto, not Goofy! :D

So I was very testily told by my two year old son when I showed him the picture on the computer!! He said "Poohtoh, Pootoh!!!"wings.gif
    My Equipment:
    Bodies: Canon- 5D Mark II, 7D, 50D, SD780IS, Sony DSC F828, DSC F717,
    Lenses: Canon EF16-35/f2.8L, EF24-105/f4L, EF100-400L, EF 50mm/1.8 II, EF100/2,8L, EF85/1.8 USM, MP-E65/2.8 1-5X, 15mm Fisheye, 70-200/f2.8L II
    Lighting: Canon 580EXII, 430EXII, MT-24EX, MR-14EX, Sony Hi Power, YinYan BY-180B Studio Strobes (3), Coco Ring Flash Adapter.
    Stability
    :Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, 322RC2, 498RC2, 454 Macro Slider, 175F-1 Clamps
    Video: Canon XHA1, HV-20 (2), HV-30
    edited March 8, 2010
    Here's one such version: A couple of mentions: The overall orange color cast is the beginning of the headaches. The photo was color corrected to begin. Yes, the bg is desaturated a bit so not to compete with the subjects...there's no way around that. You'll also notice the bg is blurred and darkened. It may appear this has no color compared to the original but in reality, Pluto is NOT orange and neither is your wife or child. The skin tones are close (see the teeth) but with a RAW file, the edit would be much more seamless. Also, I don't know how much sharpening you did, but zoomed in 200% it is way over done. I have Aperture as well....and never use it....Lightroom kicks it's butt.

805674931_4neyo-XL.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    I only have Photoshop elements and I just got it a few weeks ago but I do love a challenge. This is as good as I could get it:

805442629_zb2qd-L.jpg
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    You're right - the child's expression is to die for. I just desaturated the (human) skin tones and then cooled the overall temperature a bit.

805760304_Kr349-X3.jpg
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Played around on Picnik--had to go this route--couldn't help myself.

805770814_bZYk9-XL.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    I 'borrowed' some ideas from the other comments:
    edited March 8, 2010
    I just love seeing all the different edits!!!! This is fun.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    I think these type of shots have value beyond the technical. That said here is a quick adjustment.

I would recommend using ISO full ISO settings and don't be afraid to use 800 -1600. I also like to use my 24-105 f4 at 5.6 or smaller.

Sam
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Here's mine. Things I found and corrected include the strong orange cast, a little noise, and a much too busy background .... all of these caused by the venue where the shot was made - Disney aught to know better.

So....
    edited March 9, 2010
    Heheh...I don't think I've ever seen so many Disney pics of the same scene in my life rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Don't forget that Pluto is a cartoon character in a setting to match. And then there are stage lights that are deliberately upping the saturation of the scene.

So it is much more akin to having theater or concert shots whereby it is not supposed to look natural with normal skin tones. So get the humans and Pluto to an acceptable look and the rest should look as they do (or similar)in your original post. It might be fruitless to try for "normalcy" in a setting that is not meant to be so.

The look on your son is one for the ages (no matter the PP)!
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Of all the edits I prefer the ones with highly saturated tones in the background and some work on the skin tones only (althought BW conversion one is great as well). It just seems to me that this scene needs it? - it is a cartoon setting after all
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
    edited March 9, 2010
    Well it is a pretty lame argument that because it's a cartoon scene then it doesn't matter. The most important element of the photo is his son's face. Why don't we add a bit more saturation and run it through a couple photoshop filters to really give it that "cartoon" look...then it could be authentic. The OP said he was having difficulty why?
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Well, I thought I'd add my retouch. I happened to like the intense background, so I just worked with the Pluto and the skin tones. I just wanted to true them up a little and add some separation.

Original

805851493_eAWZZ-L.jpg

Retouched

805858727_MkBA4-L.jpg
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:
    Here's one such version: A couple of mentions: The overall orange color cast is the beginning of the headaches. The photo was color corrected to begin. Yes, the bg is desaturated a bit so not to compete with the subjects...there's no way around that. You'll also notice the bg is blurred and darkened. It may appear this has no color compared to the original but in reality, Pluto is NOT orange and neither is your wife or child. The skin tones are close (see the teeth) but with a RAW file, the edit would be much more seamless. Also, I don't know how much sharpening you did, but zoomed in 200% it is way over done. I have Aperture as well....and never use it....Lightroom kicks it's butt.

805674931_4neyo-XL.jpg

This one seems to be the best imo. skin tones are very close.
    edited March 9, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif I like the blur in the background and the crop. The mom looks best in this version also.
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:
    Well it is a pretty lame argument that because it's a cartoon scene then it doesn't matter. The most important element of the photo is his son's face. Why don't we add a bit more saturation and run it through a couple photoshop filters to really give it that "cartoon" look...then it could be authentic. The OP said he was having difficulty why?
    I'm not sure I understand. My point was to go for natural skin tones, but leave the saturated background.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    swartzy wrote:
    805674931_4neyo-XL.jpg

Also agree that this one has the most impact. Wondered if it would benefit from an uncoventional crop to keep the attention on your son's expression (which I think is priceless btw and totally outshines any technical issues even if you leave the shot as is!!!). Not sure where this would leave you for framing a 'keeper' though...
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Cute photo! I also prefer Swartzy's version. thumb.gif
    edited March 9, 2010
    I'm not sure I understand. My point was to go for natural skin tones, but leave the saturated background.

What I was driving at was leaving the background as is, regardless of repairing the overall color cast would still compete with the subjects. In any photograph, we focus on a subject or subjects and diligently work on eliminating distracting elements. The saturated BG is without a doubt a distraction not to mention is NOT the source of the photograph but instead the people and Pluto. I was also addressing the comments previous to yours so as to "get" the focus where it belongs.....the OP's desires.

An 8x10 crop is easily done with this frame as the top and bottom remain the same, just the sides are cropped to one's liking.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Ed,
    I think that your retouch is the best one so far.
    Ed911 wrote:
    Well, I thought I'd add my retouch. I happened to like the intense background, so I just worked with the Pluto and the skin tones. I just wanted to true them up a little and add some separation.

Original

805851493_eAWZZ-L.jpg

Retouched

805858727_MkBA4-L.jpg