michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited March 8, 2010 in Street and Documentary
751411938_atqRF-XL.jpg

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    751411938_atqRF-XL.jpg

This photo reminds me of a quote from Susan Sontag's "On Photography," a book I hate, but one which I assign to my students because there are pearls of wisdom buried deep in its manure pile:

"When Cartier-Bresson goes to China, he shows that there are people in China, and that they are Chinese."

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    "When Cartier-Bresson goes to China, he shows that there are people in China, and that they are Chinese."
    Fantastic! clap.gif

I've come back and looked at this photo several times, Jen. I wanted, after the first time, to say there wasn't much there. But there really was and I just couldn't put my finger on it. B.D.'s quote says it all. The ambiguity is hidden right in the directness of the shot. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    Fantastic! clap.gif

I've come back and looked at this photo several times, Jen. I wanted, after the first time, to say there wasn't much there. But there really was and I just couldn't put my finger on it. B.D.'s quote says it all. The ambiguity is hidden right in the directness of the shot. thumb.gif

Actually, my point was that there is nothing there but a Chinese man riding a bicycle. Period. End of story. Well, actually it is a well exposed and focused photo of a Chinese man riding a bicycle in China. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Actually, my point was that there is nothing there but a Chinese man riding a bicycle. Period. End of story. Well, actually it is a well exposed and focused photo of a Chinese man riding a bicycle in China. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Yes, exactly (although I did think you were complimenting the photo rolleyes1.gif)! I kept coming back to it because it had a dynamic quality that I couldn't find. When you posted I realized that was because it wasn't there. However, it still has it.
    Travis