Owyhee canyon

acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
edited March 14, 2010 in Landscapes
I carved out some time this Saturday to go hiking around my favorite local spot: Jump Creek Canyon. My primary purpose was to test out my new lens (Zeiss ZE 18mm) but most of the pictures still ended up being taken with my 24-105L. Anyway, here is the set...all C&C very welcome:

1. This is small cascade along the creek. One of my main destinations was just above this. The CPL really helped bring out the foreground underwater features. (After looking at this more, perhaps an 11x14 or comparable crop would help; it seems a bit long and cutoff on the right side. There was extraneous brush on the right edge which led to me to compose how I did.)
804613685_8Ty8z-L.jpg

2. I moved to the right and zoomed in a bit for this shot. I really liked the smooth rock wall on the left.
804613100_uzZHm-L.jpg

3. This was the main destination. I had visited this about a month ago with snow still present and a thick fog over the canyon. This was a much different atmosphere.
804616649_6GucR-L.jpg

4. Much further upstream I was able to access the creek and found this lichen covered rock aching for a capture. This was taken with the Zeiss 18 + CPL.
804613998_quFAQ-L.jpg

5. The two big rocks that are just poking in on the right of the frame had created this pool right next to the creek. The foamy ripples along with the mossy rock steps caught my attention.
804615185_yAJtY-L.jpg

6. This is just an extra shot to show you how the scene in Pic #3 looked a month ago. All the rock was wet from a light snow that had fallen. (I don't believe I posted this before.)
780187841_GWhRb-L.jpg

Comments

• TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    #2 and 6 are nice. I love that cold, foggy look of canyons.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Tharhawk wrote:
    #2 and 6 are nice. I love that cold, foggy look of canyons.

Thanks!...the wet, foggy conditions did make for a better mood that day.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Love that desert country. Those canyons are amazing out there.
    Thanks for sharing some very cool shots.
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Nice set though I really like #6 the best! Thanks for sharing them.
  • pixelparablepixelparable Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    very very nice...love number 6
    edited March 10, 2010
    Thank you all for the comments! I'm kind of partial to the last photo myself.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Great series! I like the last two the best. I do like the snow in #6 but #5 gets my vote since I love natural abstracts. I like the combination of lines and textures you have there. And the small reddish rock seems to anchor everything in place.

When I saw your thread title, I had to look. I was stationed at Mtn Home AFB twice so am familiar with the area. Thanks for the memories. :D

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited March 11, 2010
    Thanks Lauren! I'll definitely try and provide more shots from Owyhee County. Since Spring is coming around there are a couple places I'm looking to go camping and I'll keep postin'.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    Nice Shots! I like 3 but my fav. is 6 with the slight fog, lichen, the falls, a bit of snow and close up on the rocks. Can't wait to get out there this spring!
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    A great series - thanks for posting it. With that title you draw all the Boise people out and get them to respond!
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
    edited March 14, 2010
    Thanks for the compliments Trey and bauerman! I've had a unfortunate change of plans for this upcoming week (was going to Moab) but now I'm going to be spending some more time down in the Owyhees so I'll have a few more shots to share next weekend.