Battery issue

choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited March 9, 2010 in Cameras
I just purchased a used Canon 40D and the person I bought the camera from gave me two batteries.
I'm experiencing really fast battery drainage (fully charged next day shows almost empty) on both batteries.
I wanna know if there's any issues with 40D using a lot more battery power than XSi (my previous camera battery used to last for days even shooting RAW and IS always been on in cold weather)
Attached to my Canon 40D is Canon 24-105mm f/4 IS L lens and yes the IS is always turned on. Is this lens using a lot of battery to get power?

If there's nothing wrong I'm doing then I guess the batteries have been worn out and I just need to purchase a new battery for it.

Comments

• EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    That is the problem with used batteries. They are probably used up. You should be able to get at least 1000 shots with your battery.

I would get some new batteries.
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Got a cheap option for you !!
    Go to your local Princess Auto if you don't want to spend alot of money..In the Surplus area they have Memorex BP-511's for 12.99 each !!

Goodluck: Brady thumb.gif

PS-Haven't had a ounce of problems battery wise with my 40-50 or 5D !!
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Thanx. Just wanted to make sure that my L lens isn't eating up all the battery juice.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    I'm not so sure about expecting 1,000 shots from a 40D using a single BP-511A. I think something in the neighborhood of 500 - 650 is a more reasonable number, especially when using an IS lens. But, there's no reason for a battery to go flat over-night unless you have a really exhausted cell.

As for better sources, well .... google is your friend:
    batteries site:dgrin.com

will get you quite a number DGrin threads that address the question of batteries; OEM vs. generics and comparing one brand against another. Have fun - lots of reading to do deal.gif