Video capabilities of 5D Mark II ??

ReillyReilly Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited March 9, 2010 in Cameras
Realistically, do the video capabilities of the 5D Mark II enable you to shoot artsy video shorts, AND/OR are there video-only cameras that do it just as well (or better)? In other words, would I be better off going with an used 5D and just buying a video camera? I want the camera to shoot pictures with - I know I want a Canon full-frame. The question is if the up-sell to the 5D Mark II is really worth an extra $1k ?? Thoughts?

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    (Disclaimer, I have a 7D not a 5D) What the 5D gets you is 1080p with excellent low light capability and the ability to create your own "look" with interchangeable lenses, which includes great control over depth of field. The video-only cameras that can do all that are more expensive than a 5D. But...what the 5D doesn't get you is a camera for casual shooting on the fly, because it's awkward to handle, doesn't have a swivel LCD, and doesn't have autofocus like a video camera does. Therefore, the 5D is best for highly planned productions where everything like camera moves, focus pulls, etc are storyboarded out and you have the proper rigs for optimal handling and you can also choreograph everything instead of trying to adjust through reaction. Also, the 5D may not be optimal for long interviews or recording performances like plays and concerts, because you can't hold that many minutes on an expensive card compared to a box of cheap 60/90 minute tapes that you can keep rolling.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Check out the link in this thread - I think it might put some additional polish on what colourbox has already said.