First Time

GambrelGambrel Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited March 9, 2010 in People
Here is a few from my first time shooting my Wife at the park. I have not done alot of people photography:scratch but I really want to learn. So tell me what you think!! I am sure there are a ton of "Don't Do's" Let me have it and help me learn. Thanks

24031_1387393122872_1173366667_1219966_2740082_n.jpg

24031_1386364497157_1173366667_1217176_7557704_n.jpg

24031_1386341656586_1173366667_1217128_1176165_n.jpg
D90, D40, SB-600, SB-400, 50mm 1.8 and a couple of kit lenes.:thumb

Comments

• GambrelGambrel Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    Bump:( Anyone????
  • CCPhotoCCPhoto Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    I'll leave the critique up to those that know what they're talking about, but I did want to encourage you not to get discouraged by the lack of response to your OP. Folks around here stay so busy that it sometimes takes a while to get any C&C, however; their advice is top-notch and worth waiting on. Sorry, again, for being of little help but just didn't want you to get discouraged. Have a blessed day!
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    I like your processing, although I must admit that your series makes me sad a bit. The expression+desaturated colours. Of course, if that's what you were going for, mission accomplished :)
    As for the picture with the bench, I'm not entirely sure about the tilt, in that the dynamic it could convey doesn't necessarily fit the picture? I'm thinking here about Freeman's book, that has a page or two on placement of a park bench in the frame, and what it conveys. If you haven't got that book, I can recommend it. It's not always easy, but my composition skills fast improving by studying this book.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
    edited March 9, 2010
    The bench is on top of a hill and it sloped slightly down the hill. I don't have photoshop(lightroom) so I don't have a way to straighten it.

CCPhoto, I have to agree this place is top notch. That is one of the main reasons that I come here and lurk so much. I am pretty sure I have learned more here than anywhere else on the net!!:)
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    FWIW,

Agree about the "feel" of these. Since you don't say so, I'm assuming these are maternity. She doesn't look real happy about having a baby. ne_nau.gif I've seen a lot of "sad" maternity shots, and I guess I just don't get it...

OK. On to the photos themselves...

1) You chopped the top of her head off. Watch that. Also, you've got a pole from the swingset on the bottom-right. The way the vignette is, it's running right through her head - making the focus of the picture the belly - which may be the point. But, typically, you want the face to be the focal point. So - being the Maternity thing, the belly and face need to share the focus. I think I keep coming back to "I'd like to see some eye contact." I like the pp.

2) It seems she's slouching a little bit. She just doesn't look comfortable to me. I think what bugs me about the bench is not so much the tilt, but that so much of the bench is missing. I think in this case it would make the image much stronger to see the whole thing.

3) The olive tone to the picture doesn't do anything for me. The PP makes it seem underexposed. There's some interaction with the eyes, but they are missing life. A reflector or a strobe camera left would lighten up the eyes a bit and put a little catchlight in them - which would help them come alive. Also, there's a part of me that's wondering if you need a bit more tree in this shot. There's more tree in the bottom of the frame, which is fine, but by the time you get to the top, it's only a sliver. That's a bit distracting to me. I'd like to see a bit more to make it seem a bit more intentional.

By the way - you can straighten in Lightroom... :)

Hope that is helpful. I'm no expert, but I've found that details help.

Thanks for posting!
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
    edited March 9, 2010
    Thank you for the reply. I was shooting with a 50mm prime, so the chopping of the body parts was completly my fault. I think next time we do this I will try and get more eye contact and have a go at some off camera flash or even some kind of flash. Looks like I need to invest in a reflector. I have a good feeling that like everything else thare are a million optins out there. Any Good suggestions?
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    I won't point out what the others have already mentioned, but I think you are on your way there. Just a few corrections here and there. One useful "tip" would be to get her to lean back or arch her back to accentuate her cute baby bump. It will help alleviate that awkward/uncomfortable look.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!