D5000 as a first SLR?

topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
edited March 25, 2010 in Cameras
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this post repeats some of the issues already posted elsewhere - I have searched but can't find anything that answers my question...

My 15 year old God-daughter is looking to buy her first DSLR. Since playing around with my D50 last summer she has decided that she'd like to study photogrpahy at A level and possibly beyond (sorry, don't know the international equivalents of A levels!). Part of the course requirement is that she owns an SLR so...

She has saved about £500 and wants an entry level DSLR. She likes Nikon (mainly becuase that's all she's ever had a go with and I have some kit she could borrow if she needed it (mainly my SB-800 tbh). I have suggested she visits her local camera shop and has a go at holding and trying out other manufacturers too but my preference is Nikon so I don't feel inclined to persuade her any more than that! She was looking at the D3000 but after reading some of the reviews (especially about low light performance and speed) I have suggested the D5000 as an alternative. She only really needs the kit lens (18-55mm VR) to begin with so doesn't need to worry about saving any of her budget for extra lenses (but does like the idea of taking shot of pets and wildlife so will probably want a telephoto eventually). Her level of knowledge is really low at the moment (to the point where she asked me what '18mm' meant) so she's relying on me quite heavily for advice. I told her what I thought but then said I knew some other people I could ask who would give me their honest opinion so...what do you all think?! Specifically:
  • Am I right to suggest the D5000 over the D3000?
  • Should she look to an older, used model that would be a better starter than the D5000 new?
  • Is there a manufacturer other than Nikon that would be a better starting place for her - within her budget?
  • Have I missed anything?!
Thanks in advance and on her behalf:)
Craig
More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!

Comments

• insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    The D3000 will take her a long way, the 5000 would take here just a little more.
    Personally, I would get the D3000 and a extra battery, some extra memory maybe a camera bag, and extra lens and few books.
  • topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    insanefred wrote:
    The D3000 will take her a long way, the 5000 would take here just a little more.
    Personally, I would get the D3000 and a extra battery, some extra memory maybe a camera bag, and extra lens and few books.

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know anything about the D3000 being poor at high ISOs? Should this be a concern for her?

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
    edited March 9, 2010
    topcat374 wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know anything about the D3000 being poor at high ISOs? Should this be a concern for her?

IIRC, it is much better than the D50. I don't think it's that bad, especially for a beginner. It may not be D700 good but very decent.
    edited March 9, 2010
    insanefred wrote:
    IIRC, it is much better than the D50. I don't think it's that bad, especially for a beginner. It may not be D700 good but very decent.

Thanks for the feedbackthumb.gif I do wonder if she'd be better to go for a lesser model and spend some money on accessories but not at the expense of wishing she'd bought better a few years down the line. It's good to hear positive feedback about the D3000.

Any other thoughts anyone?

• NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    topcat374 wrote:
    Thanks for the feedbackthumb.gif I do wonder if she'd be better to go for a lesser model and spend some money on accessories but not at the expense of wishing she'd bought better a few years down the line. It's good to hear positive feedback about the D3000.

Any other thoughts anyone?

The D3000 is basically the D200 sensor and it had issues with banding in the higher ISO settings.

The D5000 is built for entry level users, from a learning your 1st camera standpoint the 3000 and 5000 should be about the same.

If you want to find a used one that can work, I got my D50 that way and used it for years. But if the D5000 is in her budget and you have Nikon gear to loan her then it is the best bet.
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Maybe she should get your dependable D50 to learn on and a new D90 for You.
    I love my old D50 I might have a hard time parting with it.

D5000 also has video capability that might add to her experience.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    I vote for the D50. Can get them inexpensively (just sold mine) and they're great cameras for someone who's learning. You can then get some better glass for her to use so she'll have should she decide to upgrade once she outgrows the D50 and decides to stick with Nikon.
    edited March 10, 2010
    Okay - now you've got me thinking of upgrading my D50 and trying to find ways to justify this 'need'!! rolleyes1.gif

I've never heard anything negative about the D50 (feel free to chip in if you have anything negative to add!) but am a little wary of what she might be missing out on by opting for an older model. I see they're on sale at Amazon for £250 which would be a significant saving on a D5000 (and I'm guessing she may be able to get a D50 for even cheaper than that???). Isn't this taking a backwards step though?

edited March 10, 2010
    topcat374 wrote:
    Okay - now you've got me thinking of upgrading my D50 and trying to find ways to justify this 'need'!! rolleyes1.gif

I've never heard anything negative about the D50 (feel free to chip in if you have anything negative to add!) but am a little wary of what she might be missing out on by opting for an older model. I see they're on sale at Amazon for £250 which would be a significant saving on a D5000 (and I'm guessing she may be able to get a D50 for even cheaper than that???). Isn't this taking a backwards step though?

The biggest problem with the D50 is IR pollution. :cry
    edited March 10, 2010
    insanefred wrote:
    The biggest problem with the D50 is IR pollution. :cry

Sorry to be dense about this but what does that mean? headscratch.gif

edited March 10, 2010
    topcat374 wrote:
    Sorry to be dense about this but what does that mean? headscratch.gif

You don't want to know, in this case ignorance is bliss.
    edited March 10, 2010
    insanefred wrote:
    You don't want to know, in this case ignorance is bliss.

that complicated eh?rolleyes1.gif

edited March 20, 2010
    Ok - so it looks like the D5000 may be out based on price now. If that is the case then that leaves a toss up between the D3000 and a second-hand D50. I've been reading previous threads like this one and wonder if this makes a difference. I believe the D50 will work with the lenses mentioned here whereas the D3000 won't. This won't be an issue immediately as the kit lens will be my god-daughter's main lens - just thinking ahead really. Any additional thoughts from anyone (especially if you have first hand experience of a D3000)...headscratch.gif

• GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    topcat374 wrote:
    Ok - so it looks like the D5000 may be out based on price now. If that is the case then that leaves a toss up between the D3000 and a second-hand D50. I've been reading previous threads like this one and wonder if this makes a difference. I believe the D50 will work with the lenses mentioned here whereas the D3000 won't. This won't be an issue immediately as the kit lens will be my god-daughter's main lens - just thinking ahead really. Any additional thoughts from anyone (especially if you have first hand experience of a D3000)...headscratch.gif
    The D3000 will work with the lenses, just won't AF on some. :)

Personally, I'd still opt for the D50. I don't have first-hand experience with the D3000 but I've read a lot about it and I used my D50 a lot. I think it's a great starter-camera which she can grow into comfortably.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote:
    The D3000 will work with the lenses, just won't AF on some. :)

Personally, I'd still opt for the D50. I don't have first-hand experience with the D3000 but I've read a lot about it and I used my D50 a lot. I think it's a great starter-camera which she can grow into comfortably.

I would go D3000. I don't have any practical experience with the D50 but it is just ancient..introduced maybe in 2003? ANY slr introduced recently is going to be much richer in features and in performance then the D50.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com