Options

[SOLD] FS: new 1GB Viking CF card

photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
edited June 21, 2004 in Flea Market
I have a brand new Viking 1GB CompactFlash card for sale:
now SOLD 1 GB, model #CF1GB - asking $135
Write speed: 1.2 MB/sec ("8x") peak.
Read speed: 8 MB/sec ("53x") peak.

The UPC codes were removed for promotions; the packages are still unopened/factory-sealed. 3-day (first class) shipping to anywhere in the U.S. included in asking prices.

Info: http://www.vikinginterworks.com/products/compact.asp

I can be contacted via Dgrin Private Message or through my DGrin profile.

= bug.
Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2004
    Hey photobug...how'd you get so many CF cards? ear.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Hey photobug...how'd you get so many CF cards? ear.gif
    Fish ,

I'm a bit of a memory-card-a-holic ... I just grab a card whenever an exceptionally good deal pop up. I keep the cards I can use myself, and sell off any extras as a "funding assist" for the ol' photo equipment "habit" . (this has a considerably higher SAF than spending grocery money on photo eqpt mwink.gif ... to which many people reading this can probably relate)

= bug
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    DewrGleisionDewrGleision Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    SAF?

Anywho, whats the speed on the 1G? I need anything above 4X... I need to upgrade here! Are they still available? Got any new ones for decent prices (Im just a bum...)? Anything bigger? Faster? Sexier?...nod.gif

grumble...
    He who throws dirt, loses ground...
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    whats the speed on the 1G? I need anything above 4X...
    "8x". All these Viking cards are considered "8x" (1.2MB/sec write speed), using the "x" scale established by Lexar's marketing department ;-). Visit http://www.vikinginterworks.com/products/compact.asp for specs directly from Viking.

Are they still available? Got any new ones...? ...nod.gif
    Yes, they're still available (and they are all that I have left, at the moment). All three are brand new, never used, still factory-sealed.

Cheers
    = photobug

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    A couple quick questions:

Where are you located?

How much for shipping?

What types of payment do you accept, and which is your preferred?

I don't need the extra speed from the fastest cards on the market. I will have to give this some thought.

Thanks
    Dave
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    A couple quick questions:
    Where are you located?
    How much for shipping?
    What types of payment do you accept, and which is your preferred?

I don't need the extra speed from the fastest cards on the market. I will have to give this some thought.
    I'm located in the Silicon Valley area (see my DGrin profile).

No charge for shipping (read: FREE)! (I use first class mail for CF cards, which generally gets to anywhere in the "lower 48" within 3 business days).

I'll be happy to discuss payment/shipment options with you via DGrin private message. I'll drop you a PM in a few minutes.

Re speed -- in a PM from another DGrin'er, someone mentioned "speed" in relation to getting data off the CF card in a flash reader. Just thought I'd note that these Viking cards have a 1.2MB/sec ("8x") write speed but (like all CF cards) a much higher read speed; in thise case, 8MB/sec. We generally care about write speed when shooting and read speed when the card is parked in a flash reader.

I use Viking CF cards almost exclusively in my digital cameras and they've worked flawlessly for me. I've also used a supposedly much faster SanDisk Ultra-II 256MB card and didn't notice any faster shooting performance than with the Vikings (but the internal write buffering in my 10D could be masking any CF write speed difference; I might notice a difference in my little G2).

Cheers
    = bug

• Options
    DewrGleisionDewrGleision Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    photobug, by new, I meant recent purchases of different CF cards, not the condition in which the previously stated ones are in...

I.e Have you gotten any new CF cards lately, or do you still have only the 3 originally mentioned?

Guess Is houlda been clearer on that, and the whole speed thing! I didnt know the x-thing was a Lexar deal! I guess thats what I go by, since all I have right now is a 256 Lexar card... At 4x... Toooooooo slow....

Forget Lexar then! Since you use them, I gues Ill move to Vicking!
    He who throws dirt, loses ground...
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2004
    photobug, by new, I meant recent purchases of different CF cards, not the condition in which the previously stated ones are in...
    I.e Have you gotten any new CF cards lately...?
    I try to post whatever I have available. At the moment, it's just the 3 Viking cards (128MB, 256MB, and 1GB).

Guess I shoulda been clearer on that, and the whole speed thing! I didn't know the x-thing was a Lexar deal! I guess thats what I go by, since all I have right now is a 256 Lexar card... At 4x... Toooooooo slow....
    Forget Lexar then! Since you use them, I gues Ill move to Viking!
    Lexar is certainly one of the premier manufacturers of CF cards. Its 40x (6 MB/sec) write speed "WA" cards are very fast -- in cameras that (1) support WA [mine doesn't] and (2) are used in ways that can take benefit from that high of a write speed, e.g. shooting RAW or large JPEG files in such rapid succession that the camera's internal write buffer is overrun [I haven't yet experienced that].

As lore has it, Lexar's Marketing dept created the "x" write speed rating many years ago. It deserves kudos for creating some kind of write-speed metric, since before that CF card write speeds simply weren't mentioned or were buried in the specs (that few people read). Write speed isn't the only thing that counts, but it certainly can be an important one in digital photography applictions.