Question about focusing rails

paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
edited March 10, 2010 in Holy Macro
I have been doing macro up to round 2:1 using a tripod and manual focus, moving the point of focus backwards in small increments and then stacking. I notice that a number of people use focusing rails instead. If there a particular benefit of using a focusing rail rather than refocusing the lens in small increments?

Thanks

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    I'm not sure from a focus stacking POV there is much difference between the two focus methods. I suspect though as you go up in magnification, the sensitivity of the focus ring might not be enough to get the focus steps you require. Having said that using a tripod at high mags can have it's own problems with slight movements causing FOV changes.
    Most people doing high magnification stacks do use macro rail systems but often these are fixed down onto a base and it is the subject that is moved not the camera.
    So overall if the stacks are coming out well using the method you are using I wouldn't worry about it and if you want even higher mag stacks you may need to think about a different setup.
    I certainly use the focus ring sometimes for stacks less than 1:1 but nearly always use a fixed focus move camera method for higher mag stacks but I do these by hand just sliding the camera.
    Brian v.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Brian,

Thanks very much. This is very helpful.

Dan
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    My experience with using a focusing rail (adorama's dual focusing rail) was to make it quicker and easier to get the subject into the sharpest focus possible........which it did and especially if I was shooting off a tripod.......I was getting extremely frustrated moving my pod back and forth and not hitting the sweet spot and the focus rail did that for me.....especially after I moved to the Giottos tripod that I now have..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website