Fountains Abbey - England

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited March 15, 2010 in Landscapes
A dispute and riot at St Mary's Abbey in York led to the founding of Fountains Abbey in 1132. After pleading unsuccessfully to return to the early 6th century Rule of St Benedict, 13 monks were exiled and taken into the protection of Thurstan, Archbishop of York.

Read more here: http://www.fountainsabbey.org.uk/html/visiting/what-to-see/the-abbey/

I did take a bunch of shots of the abbey but extremely harsh sunlight and too many ignorant people getting in the way prevented me from really going to town on the abbey. However I'll go back another time.

In the meantime, here are some that I got. :)

This one is a HDR tonemapped of 3 exposures. Normal, and +/- 2 stops

806692766_LCpU8-O.jpg

A section of the Abbey - This is a magnificant ruin with LOTS of history and a true ancient feel about it.

806693261_eaU7a-O.jpg

Looking back towards the Abbey

806692554_6TCp5-O.jpg

806691795_P3Pm2-O.jpg

The view from "Anne Boleyns Seat"

806692175_FLkr4-O.jpg

The Grounds

806692842_eDhb6-O.jpg

806691582_26kYK-O.jpg

806692426_jYmsd-O.jpg

And finally, some abstract detail from a tree limb that had split off from the main trunk and fallen.

806691983_cFVvw-O.jpg

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Ian, this is my favorite place in all of the UK!!! I thoroughly enjoyed this series and I recognize all of it, except the tree bark. rolleyes1.gif I know what you mean about the people getting in the way--I would love to visit Fountains with nobody else around. I'd also like to visit it in winter with snow. Have you been able to shoot it in snow?

BTW, I think you did a nice job with the HDR.

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Hey Ian,

I really like this series. It exhibits excellent technical skills along with very interesting scene selections. I understand about the people issue. I'd love to catch the Biltmore Estate ( the largest private home in the U.S. ), located in Asheville, NC , without hundreds of folks around.....not likely to happen.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Thank you Lauren and Tom for your kind words. I appreciate it greatly.

I've not yet had the opportunity to photograph it when it has been snowing and must admit I'd be concerned about the ability to get there as it's accessed by single track country lanes (Could be entertaining :) ). I would very much love to photograph it in the snow though for sure.

I've been to both TX and NC and there are some seriously cool places to photograph. I'd love to get back over to the US and bring my camera with me. Previously, my visit to the US was before I'd taken up photography.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Come on over to TX, Ian, and I'll be glad to tour you around. I hope you do get to shoot Fountains in the snow, although I do suppose it would be a bit of a trick getting there. Keep showing me shots of Yorkshire--I love seeing them! BTW, I really like the shot with the abbey in the distance and the river in foreground--the silky water is wonderful.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited March 10, 2010
    hehe, I'd love to get back to the states.. so much to photograph.
    I'll be sure to post more shots of Yorkshire when I'm next up there :)

The Silky water shot was a 30 second exposure using a ten stop filter. I'm quite pleased with the result. It's held reflections further up the stream which is nice.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    IPClark wrote:

806692175_FLkr4-O.jpg

really like this photo, brings back memories. like how the people give perspective as well as the colours thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    The place is so grand ! loved your photos thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited March 10, 2010
    Thanks Chris, Awais. :)
  • JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    I love these!! Although this Abbey appears much more expansive, it reminds me of Thetford Priory in Norfolk. When I was a wee lad I spent 2 years in a house that had the Thetfors Priory in the back yard. That is one of only a few memories of that time in my life.