Checking out Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD

Just0a0guyJust0a0guy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited March 12, 2010 in Cameras
I found a deal for a used Tamron 17-50 2.8 lens on craigslist I'll be checking it out tonight after work. I have never used a third party lens before is there anything different compared to a canon lens that I should be sure to check? otherwise the basics of auto focus functioning aprature response and dust/mold damage to the glass suffice for verifying the lens before buying.

Comments

• GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    I looked at this lens as well as Sigma's equivalent. Supposed to both be very good lenses but Tamron has a reputation of having slightly better optics than Sigma and Sigma has a reputation of having a faster focus speed than Tamron. They both have a reputation of QC issues but, as long as you get one which is working, I understand they're good lenses. I have owned a Sigma 18-200 DC OS HSM and it was a very good lens.

It's not an, "L," lens or anything but should be ok as long as you're not getting crazy.
  • mutti_wilsonmutti_wilson Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    I have the Nikon version with the BIM. Focus isn't super fast, but plenty good enough for what I use it for. The IQ is great, don't worry about that. It's a solidly built lens, but don't expect it to be tank like. All in all, a great bargain.
    Bodies: D300, D200
    Lenses: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Tokina AT-X 828 AF Pro 80-200mm f/2.8, Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Accessories: Nikon SB-600, Zeikos Grip, Original Tilt-All Tripod, Smith-Victor BH-52 Ball Head, Various Filters etc.
  • TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    I've got the Canon mount version and had the Sony mount previously. It's a good quality lens for sure. The AF is slightly noisy compared to a Canon L lens, but not as bad as the Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro.
  • Just0a0guyJust0a0guy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    I ended up buying the lens it seems n perfect condition and I can't wait for Saturday to take it to the city and play. Thank you all for your inputs.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 11, 2010
    Just0a0guy wrote:
    I ended up buying the lens it seems n perfect condition and I can't wait for Saturday to take it to the city and play. Thank you all for your inputs.

Congratulations on the new lens. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    I ordered 3 of these lenses and gave them a good look at F2.8 hoping at least one of them would be acceptably sharp at 2.8. None of them were, however by f4 and above they were all nice and sharp.
    There was not a noticeable difference in the quality between the three.
    You should be happy with your purchase....unless you live at 2.8.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    Just0a0guy wrote:

my Tamron 17-50 2.8 is tack sharp at f2.8 - enjoy your new lens!
  • GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    Congratulations on the new lens. I love my and use it very frequently.
    Just0a0guy wrote:
    is there anything different compared to a canon lens

If I had seen your post earlier I would have mentioned that it zooms in the opposite direction - takes a little getting used too, but a great lens!
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Just0a0guyJust0a0guy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    Gringriff wrote:
    Congratulations on the new lens. I love my and use it very frequently.

If I had seen your post earlier I would have mentioned that it zooms in the opposite direction - takes a little getting used too, but a great lens!
    yeah I read that in the reviews before handling so at least I looked like i knew what i was doing. so far I have taken less then a dozen shots with it but I love having a zoom with F2.8. Before this only my 50 1.8 could give me a shallow DOF and while i love having the prime in my bag I found 50mm to be too long on a crop body indoors for the times I wanted shallow DOF. And of course while fate gave me a great deal on the lens it looks like rain is predicted for SF this weekend so I don't know how much shooting I'll get to do. :cry