A Few More of the Texas Hill Country

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited March 12, 2010 in Landscapes
As you may have noticed, I have recently posted more shots of the Hill Country than other subjects. I have decided to make the most of where I am and really focus my efforts on the Texas Hill Country. We are expecting a good wildflower season this year, so I have several outings planned over the next few weeks. Let me know if you get tired of seeing Texas! :D

Here are a couple more recent shots. As always, C&C is appreciated.

Thanks,
Lauren

1. Processed with Topaz Adjust - sky wasn't this purplish in person but I liked the result.
807040895_vWSFt-L.jpg

2. Vintage effect
807635106_wVcMt-L.jpg

765364356_g8adv-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Hi Lauren,

Don't worry about overloading us with scenes from the Hill Country. That would be hard to do. I'm really looking forward to the flower shots.

The vintage approach on that one shot didn't quite come off too well. It looks more like I'm looking through a scratched up lens, as opposed to looking at a weathered and worn photo itself. I've never tried that approach myself and I have an idea it's a little harder to pull off than I think. Randy could probably give you some good advice on creating that look.

One thing I'd like to see you emphasize a little more in your range of shots is the " Hill " part of the Texas Hill Country. There's lots of interesting elevation changes throughout that area ....even " mini mountains " in parts of it. If you can, let us have a peek at some of those scenes.

Keep your stuff coming. I love it.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Hi Lauren,

You photography is coming along nicely. Very good off center comp
    in the first photo. Creative approach in the second photo and
    very good vertical comp and FG placement in the third photo.

I think the black and white photo might be the way to go. Here is my
    take on it.

tweak

-switched the photo to black and white

-used the midtone slider in (levels) to darken the photo

-darken (burn) the dark areas in the sky
    -lighten (dodge) the light areas in the sky

-lighten (dodge) most of the shadows in the trees
    -lighten (dodge) the highlights in the trees

-added selecitve USM (sharpening) to some of the trees (stayed close
    to the ground to avoid any sharpening halos around the top of the trees)

-healed out any sensor dust in the sky

Hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Take care,
    Dwayne Oakes

p1031178361.jpg
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Tom - I thought of you when I wrote about "too much of the Hill Country." I knew you'd appreciate all the shots, and more! I do agree with your comment about the vintage shot--I tried something different based on a tutorial I found, but it didn't work as I hoped. I've seen some that look terrific with this effect but I'm not sure how it was achieved. Asking Randy is a good idea. Maybe I'll change it's caption to "Looking Through Old Glass." :D

Dwayne - Thank you for your encouragement about my work. And thanks in a big way for your editing and the how-to! I tried a B&W conversion but couldn't pull it off, which is why I switched to the "vintage" look. When I saw this scene I thought it would work in B&W--nice to know somebody else saw it too. I will re-work it from the RAW file and post again.

Many thanks to both of you!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Nice set...the vintage effect on #2 looks interesting. It threw me at first and then the more I looked at it it did look like an old photo. The effect might be a little overdone (too much away from the edges IMO). There's something about windmills that make people stop for photos.:D
  • marcpromarcpro Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    For the vintage effect, suggest you also apply a slight blur to the original picture first, to simulate an older camera with some of the crispness lost in the development of the picture. Just my 0.02.
    Cheers,
    -- Photography without post-processing is like cooking without salt or spices.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    Wow I LOVE the vintage effect! Your subject is just perfect for it, too. :D

I wouldn't have thought of it at first, but +1 to adding a little blur. Those old cameras weren't quite as consistent as what we have today.