Lindsay

KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
edited March 14, 2010 in People
Some shots of Lindsay from a couple weeks ago. Some bounced on-camera flash, some natural light with a reflector, some straight-up natural light. Her hood was just too cute! Makes you think we were somewhere other than Florida.

My first time shooting someone a little bigger, but I think the poses worked out well and I was able to keep the attention on those beautiful eyes and great smile. :)

C&C appreciated - I know that I need to do a better job of keeping consistency of skin tone across shots, so that's definitely on my "to improve" list.

800811825_945Y4-L.jpg

800813094_sCfVC-L.jpg

800814041_7jPhv-L.jpg

800816521_nuYSc-L.jpg

5. This could probably use a little more light now that I'm seeing it in this context... especially near the eyes.
800817589_tUDzy-L.jpg

6. Went for a little extra processing here - not sure whether it's successful or not :scratch
800815222_36zwM-L.jpg
Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!

Comments

• mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Very nice set. I would be more than pleased with them if they were mine. My only critiques are with #2 and #6. For me, in picture 2, my eyes keep drawing to the wood paneling (??) on the upper right. Maybe a slightly tighter crop would help. In picture #6, her face seems washed out. I can definitely see what you are going for with this though, and I like the direction!

Kris
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    So is she taller than you?

When shooting closeups of your larger framed people, esp ladies, it is always a good idea to raise the camera about 4-5 inches above their eyes... it helps minimise any extra in the underchin area, and makes the jawline more prominent. Also teach them to put their chin out and down, shoulders back a bit, but not too much. This would have fixed 1, 3, 5 & 6's chin problems and would have taken them from really good shots to really GREAT shots.

But it is hard to do when they are taller than you. I am taller than most women, so it is usually very simple for me to do. But I had a shoot last week where I had to work very hard since the gal was quite a bit taller than me and had some pretty serious chin issues. Solution? have them sit on the ground or floor or get yourself a step stool.
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    So is she taller than you?

I'm 5"1' so everyone is taller than me rolleyes1.gif

Great suggestions, though. I'll definitely make note of that for future reference! I think I might have been on a stool for shot #2... I don't remember for sure though.
    Webpage

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    Remember on a larger person shadows are their best friend. The lighting ratio (light to dark) tends to make the face apear slender. Take a ping pong ball or your finger and try to find the light and dark with the shadow on the ball and place your subject in that position.

When facing straight on the human body is at its largest. Turn them slightly and bring the front leg across the body. This tends to make the lower portion less large.
  • janiceejanicee Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    4 looks awesome to me...
    the model has strong eyes IMO.
    lighting is also great.

well done. clap.gif
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Thanks guys. I just wrote your comments down in my little photo notebook so I'll be sure to remember.

I have found that I tend to get down low for some of my non-people shots and so I think I might've instinctually done that with Lindsay, which I'll be sure to consciously pay attention to when shooting people from here on out.

I do really appreciate you taking the time to comment, so thanks again.
    Webpage