2;

00758dc13b4544589a46367c79f603c3

3;

6b520c95736a450197f4a1550de912ac

C&C. Lets hear it!

Comments

• pgaviriapgaviria Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    while the images are descriptive of urban situations, I feel like there should be more motivation in them.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    pgaviria wrote:
    while the images are descriptive of urban situations, I feel like there should be more motivation in them.

More motivation..... headscratch.gif

Do you mean, more information?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 12, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:

I don't understand what pgaviria meant either...hopefully he will clarify it for us.

I like the conversion in #1 and the color in #2, but I don't think there's a clear subject in either one. I think #2 would have worked better if you had shot a moment earlier, when the person in the lower right probably would have been in front of the bright green storefront. I missed him altogether the first time I looked at the shot.
    edited March 12, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    I don't understand what pgaviria meant either...hopefully he will clarify it for us.

I like the conversion in #1 and the color in #2, but I don't think there's a clear subject in either one. I think #2 would have worked better if you had shot a moment earlier, when the person in the lower right probably would have been in front of the bright green storefront. I missed him altogether the first time I looked at the shot.

This I hear and thanks, Richard, for your time.

In shot 3, there's not much left to tell, except for why that big grin is on his face. Is it perhaps the simplicity of the scene that doesn't make it interesting? This is paramount info for me to know; If I can't get this sorted out, I'll have to change styles.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:

No I think he means more reason for your viewer to linger.

Think about why you took these shots, will your viewer see your reasons?

No one can tell you, your style. If they did, you'd be shooting their style, right?

These are all street images, just not compelling street images to me.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    My nonexpert viewpoint (perhaps a peer viewpoint as I am working to improve in this area):

These are photos of what you have seen. But there is little to engage the viewer other than the visual representation. Often this comes from people interacting with each other or the environment or from something that does not quite fit and puzzles the viewer.

So the small puzzle in #1 (without any answer) is the cones that may answer why traffic is backed up here. In #3, why is he smiling? Expanding the field of view (if there was someone/thing there) would have set up a more interesting shot if we saw what he did and smiled to. Now we would have connected to his grin.

Hope this helps.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:

I kinda understand. The photographs capture a scene, but I wonder what your motivation was in wanting to capture that scene. What was there about it that made you want to photograph it? What were you trying to show?

In these - especially #1 - I was looking around the image trying to figure out what you saw. If I can't find that immediately on looking at the photo, then I'm left hanging.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited March 12, 2010
    OK.... I see.

What I tried doing was create *fishing lures*... A p'graph that gives you just some of the info, in hopes of desiring more and leaving you wanting. Something akin to a lady having an upper blouse button (or 2) undone - We get to see a little but at the same time, oh so hope for just a little more. mwink.gif

In 1, we have a high-centered car on the median, an emergency response vehicle, and cones scattered about. A little deeper into the photo, we also have a bystander looking back into the scene, which is hard to see in this example because for some reason, it's overall darker than the original. In the original, the street sign is also legible - I was trying to convey an accident scene without getting into the 'blood-n-guts' of it all.

In 2, we have a hotel thats trying to rejuvenate itself.... My thinking was that the fella jumping out of the car had a goal of seeking what the bright lights contained (bar), but had to get past the 'trash' of the portion that's still getting the face lift (burned out awning lights, plywood and tarps in window fronts...), when coupled with the lonesome feel of the street, his journey would've felt long and earning him a beer.

FWIW, I not so sure that 2 came off - I tossed it in because I've seen other examples here that made me go "WTF?", and yet, came across as big hits! Like I said; trying to figure it out. headscratch.gif

#3, I'm not sure if it really belongs here - This is part of a project that I've taken on and it is what it is; A guy out picking up his mail... I'm not sure the reason for his grin; perhaps he's thinking of something funny or the headline on the newspaper, or the magazine cover was humorous. I dunno, there was nothing apparent outside the frame.... Maybe he was just happy as a clam for doing what he was doing???

IMO, all 3 examples need stories to complete the pictures. The goal of these is to "fish-hook" the viewer into learning more about each. thumb.gif
  • lifeLikelifeLike Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    IMO, all 3 examples need stories to complete the pictures. The goal of these is to "fish-hook" the viewer into learning more about each. thumb.gif

I'm definitely not one to complain of a lack of motivation in a photograph. Heck I've actually taken several pictures of blank walls. But I think what is trying to be expressed is that in these particular stories there is no specific "hook", target or subject that makes you want to learn more about the scene. Although you see it, it's not obvious to a casual observer.

That being said, I take a lot of photos like this and I love them for what they are to me. For me it's more of a photographic journal that documents life around me. They aren't going to win any awards but they make me happy! Plus the more and more you shoot like this, the more you will come across and capture moments that really do have that spark! :D
    ~lifelike.smugmug.com

not life but lifelike
    edited March 13, 2010
    lifeLike wrote:
    ... For me it's more of a photographic journal... :D

And that right there is what my goal is with the subject in #3; Capture him while performing tasks that where challenging/impossible, not that long ago.

My participating in the "PJ" side of things is in hope of better performing this task and delivering results that contain some 'teeth' in it.