Real Difference?

ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited March 12, 2010 in Cameras
I'm trying to figure out what the real difference is between an XSi and the D series, like the 30D? What is the true difference? Thanks!!

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    XXXXD basic entry level 1000D aka XS
    XXXD Entry level 400D, 450D aka XTi,XSi
    XXD Almost professional 30D 40D etc
    XD Professional 5d, 7D etc

Here are some notable differences between XXD and XXXD series which i have noticed
    Since XXD is big bro of XXXD it has better: Grip, controls, viewfinder, focusing, burst mode, ISO performance, battery life, durable shutter, and it is expensive. I think there is no significant difference in overall picture quality. Just my personal observations, lets see what others say.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    I think that there is a better experience with the XXD series than the XXXD series. Having the ability to change quickly controls and settings makes it far superior to being trapped in a complicated menu system for changing things.

I also found the bigger controls to be easier to manipulate and therefore a better experience ergonomically as well for me.

XXD hold there value a little stronger than the XXXD does though both depreciate quickly.
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    XXD and XXXD both have image quality that is easily comparable. XXD will have much more performance and better build quality. I own an XS (XXXXD) due to a tighter budget, but it functions perfectly for just about anything. The only thing that is of slight bother is the low FPS and the slightly lower minimum ISO level (1600). I have no problem changing settings and can do it quickly. I have tried a 50D, and I will say that it feels more solid and more pro. But, I realized that for my current photography, it wasn't much of an improvement that would affect my pictures on a day to day basis.

To figure out which one best suits your needs you really need to evaluate how you will be using the camera. I wouldn't want to photograph sports, high speed moving objects, or low-light situations with any XXXXD or XXXD camera. For everything else, I think you will be getting pretty similar results out of the camera types.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    I have an xsi and a 50d - I like them both very much.
    • Both will take great pictures.
    • The xsi is lighter and cheaper, but it handles better with a grip attached
    • compared to an xsi+grip, a 50d WITHOUT a grip is lighter... and still handles well
    • If you are shooting Av or Tv, the xsi handles beautifully; once you switch to all-manual, the dial+button adjustment for aperture is a real pain.
    • the 50d's thumbwheel layout is great - one of Canon's longstanding, excellent design features
    • The menu is simpler on the xsi
    • the 50d has more custom functions, and it's easier to get at them with a single button push (once you know how they're accessed)
    • extra pixel depth on the 50d is useful when cropping - the xsi has plenty of resolution, but I can't deny I've found the little bit more useful sometimes
    • for me, the xsi battery lasts longer. Not sure why since in theory i should be the other way round. That said, the 50d battery is no slouch.
    • xsi uses SD cards which are cheaper and easier to find; 50d uses compact flash (Canon, take note: can the 60d please have slots for both?? Ta muchly.)
    • 50d can go to higher ISO settings
    • noise between models is *different* rather than noticeably better or worse - the 50d gets a slight edge for less noise, especially when properly exposed. The noise is "smaller" if that makes sense - not sure if it's a function of pixel density or the different processor, but it just looks different.
    Hope that helps!
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    I'm trying to figure out what the real difference is between an XSi and the D series, like the 30D? What is the true difference? Thanks!!

you can do a side-by-side comparison of features -
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

The XXXD "Rebel" line has the same (or better) image sensors as the other models, they just lack some features you may (or may not) need. e.g. the 30D/40D/50D have a higher FPS rate, of course you pay more for those features.
  • GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    Like divamum, I also have the XSi and 50D.

She has provide an excellent description of many differences.

I am not sure on the battery life. I have done no scientific studies but the battery life for me is very similar. A day at the soccer field usually requires I switch batteries just a little over half way through the day.

One thing I did not see listed above was the higher frames per second of the 50D which is handy for sports shooting and may cause the batteries to drain faster in the same time period if more shots are being taken.

Since I have bought the 50D I almost never use the XSi anymore. I really prefer the larger size handling and the controls (especially the buttons on top and the wheel) along with higher ISO and faster fps. I also like the Kelvin setting for WB.

Basically the XSi is a backup camera now which I let my son use. I even loaned it to my sister for two weeks for her trip to Israel.

So while I really enjoyed the XSi (my first DSLR) I love the 50D many times more!

Andy
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    Thank you guys so much for all of the information! It has helped me tremendously to understand the difference between the series. Thanks so much you guys!!