Options

AMA - Mid Ohio

maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
edited August 9, 2005 in Sports
Well my friends, my apologies for delaying here (I have posted some of these on FM but meant to start here..)

So here goes peeps. Camera, 1DMK2, lenses 300f2.8, 70-200f2.8 and 24-70.

ericb4_mo.jpg
::
bspies1_mo.jpg
neilh1_mo.jpg
aarongobert_dgrin.jpg
cockpit1_mo.jpg
AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
Next Race - MotoGP Donington
:ivar

Comments

• Options
    edited August 7, 2005
    oh!!!

I have added Mid Ohio images to my site if anyone is interested...(Not everything but just enough to tell a story of my weekend)

leeacree_fm.jpg

Andrew :)

• Options
    lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    great colors!
    what a great set of photos... I really love the colors... well done! clap.gif
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    lr1811 wrote:
    what a great set of photos... I really love the colors... well done! clap.gif
    Amen! I second that. Colours, composition, everything... perfect.

Care to share any secrets?
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited August 8, 2005
    That cockpit shot is great. Nicely lit.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    As usual, they are ridiculously good. Esp the first two & the Kwak cockpit.
    maczippy wrote:
    Well my friends, my apologies for delaying here (I have posted some of these on FM but meant to start here..)

So here goes peeps. Camera, 1DMK2, lenses 300f2.8, 70-200f2.8 and 24-70.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    These are awesome. I can definitely say that there's not one that I dislike. I love them!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    tcsphototcsphoto Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Great shots, I like the way you positioned the bikes in the frame. Did you rely more on shutter speed rather than panning?

I was on the other side of the fence at Mid Ohio and I need a lot more practice.
    Tom (tcsphoto)

I used to dream of all things Nikon, then I got the bill.
    http://www.sowdphotography.com/
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Gosh darn, you make great images. You should be gainfully employed as long as men race motorcycles! I love, love, love the first two.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2005
    tcsphoto wrote:
    Great shots, I like the way you positioned the bikes in the frame. Did you rely more on shutter speed rather than panning?

I was on the other side of the fence at Mid Ohio and I need a lot more practice.

Thanks all!

I'm not sure I understand your question, so I apologise if I'm off kilter...

I don't really rely on one or the other. I shoot totally manual (aside from using AF) and as such I may stand in a location just thinking about the trajectory of the bikes, the riders "style" how their body moves and then decide how I'm going to feature that movement. I'll watch them to see how they do their thing.

Most of these shots are one offs. By that I mean, I'll follow the rider through an arc or path and then pink (an old shooting term) off a single frame at the point I want within the viewfinder. I hardly ever use the "H" mode available on the 1DMK2

One funny aside. Neil H knows me and we chat quite often. Most of these chaps know us and they know where we are located. Sometimes they'll show off etc (the Di Salvo shot in my galleries is one just occasion). At one testing session at Infineon in Sonoma, Neil H was purposely taking a different line through the corner to make me work for the image..(he told me so)..

I thought that was hilarious...

Let me know if that answers your question!

• Options
    edited August 8, 2005
    Amen! I second that. Colours, composition, everything... perfect.

Care to share any secrets?

<blush>

Thank you.

I really don't think there are any. The colour processing is something I have worked on for many years shooting horses and simply carried over to my current (read: other) line of work. It's a style thing I guess.

The others are just brought about by shooting shooting shooting and knowing the subject. This is all I do after all, and like a chef (I was a pastry chef at one point too) it becomes second nature. The only thing you have to do is find a theme or something that sets you apart from everyone else. Not necessarily better per se, but something that is *yours*.

Everything I shoot I shoot because it makes me happy first of all.

For me, the thrill is sharing an image and hoping people ignore who shot it (me) and look into the image to find things to absorb and look at is a trip, as I have always believed in being that conduit, or a looking glass and creating that image that people can peer into and see something.

And when I think about the weekends away from my Wife and my little friends (Jack - who died whilst I was away in Mid Ohio and broke my heart - and our cats) I always feel that I really have to make sure I emerge with something that tells the story of the location, the riders, what they do and everyone involved with pictures. Hence why I ignore the golden rule of portfolios where "pro's" always say only share so and so many images and say sod it and share as many as it takes to tell my story of my travels and the lives of these fabulous people (as most of them are really very nice people I have found).

Sounds a bit sappy but there go you...

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Nice posts, Andrew. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Andrew
    I was there last year we got drenched icon10.gif
    Had to work this year bncry.gif

Very nice photos as always

Fred
  • Options
    tcsphototcsphoto Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    maczippy wrote:
    Thanks all!

I'm not sure I understand your question, so I apologise if I'm off kilter...

I don't really rely on one or the other. I shoot totally manual (aside from using AF) and as such I may stand in a location just thinking about the trajectory of the bikes, the riders "style" how their body moves and then decide how I'm going to feature that movement. I'll watch them to see how they do their thing.

Most of these shots are one offs. By that I mean, I'll follow the rider through an arc or path and then pink (an old shooting term) off a single frame at the point I want within the viewfinder. I hardly ever use the "H" mode available on the 1DMK2

One funny aside. Neil H knows me and we chat quite often. Most of these chaps know us and they know where we are located. Sometimes they'll show off etc (the Di Salvo shot in my galleries is one just occasion). At one testing session at Infineon in Sonoma, Neil H was purposely taking a different line through the corner to make me work for the image..(he told me so)..

I thought that was hilarious...

Let me know if that answers your question!

Thanks for the reply. In reading your reply and looking at the photos on your website. A better way of asking my question is besides panning, how far do you generally vary shutter speed? Is it under 1/200, 200 to 400, over 400? I understand DOF and aperture plays a part, but I would think shutter speed would be the most adjusted.

By the way, I think its very funny that a pro rider would play tricks on a photographer during a race. It just goes to show you that if you can't have fun, why do it.
    Tom (tcsphoto)

I used to dream of all things Nikon, then I got the bill.
    http://www.sowdphotography.com/
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    Ah!

Okay Tom, I see what you're saying.

Okay, from memory I will vary between 1/320 and 1/500 (I think) with a f5.6-7.1, somewhere around there. Other factors may kick in, such as light, weather/clouds so adjustments may need to be made